Well, what a night last night was! For those of you lucky enough to catch the Radiohead special “Amateur Nite” on their site last night, you’re most likely craving for more.
You may remember the w.a.s.t.e. email from Mel last week saying that we should download the RealPlayer for reasons left unknown. Last night the RealPlayer was put in use! The boys of Radiohead set up a video camera and went on the air around 6PM Eastern time. All five were there, along with Nigel (their producer), Mel, and a few others. Basically the first 2 hours were just Thom and Jonny playing DJs. They played many many great songs including tracks from PJ Harvey, Miles Davis, Aphex Twin, Johnny Cash, etc… It was a real party atmosphere, topped off with a nice Christmas tree in the background. DJ Thom was wonderful at keeping us entertained.
Here’s a partial play list: (thanks to Follow Me Around)
01. The Fall – Birmingham school of business school
02. The Fall – Wrong Place Right Time
03. Gescom – Change rmx on skam
04. Charlie Mingus – Freedom
05. Miles davis – Jack johnson
06. Beefheart – Gimme that heart boy
07. Scientist – Cloning process
08. Betty davis – If I’m In Luck I might get picked Up
09. Autechre – Arch carrier
10. Close encounters – Induction of Barry
11. Syd Barrett – Golden hair
12. Mahalia Jackson – Come sunday
13. Aphex twin – Squarepusher – FHM acid
14. Iggy pop – Nightclubbing
15. Sonic youth – Tunic
16. Prince Buster – Al capone
17. Gabor szabo – Jazz raga
18. From nuggets – Vol2 original artyfactsfrom the 1st psychedelic era 1965 – 1968
19. Talking Heads – This Must be The place
20. Can – pinch
21. Squarepusher – UFO’s over leytonstone
22. Squarepusher – Title unknown
22. PJ Harvey – The River
23. Global Goon – Rockford
24. Neue – Hallo gallo
25. Frances Lai – Le passager de la pluie
26. Oscar Peterson – Brotherhood of man
27. Batacuda – ?
28. Johnny Cash – San Quentin Blues
29. Ravel – String Quartet in F
30. Andre Previn (Turangalila symphony) – Messiaen
31. Ramsey Lewis – Dancing in the street
32. Monster Mash.
33. A1 People – Do It
34. Sing a song of Motor Cars – Mini Moke song
35. Can – ?
36. Popol Vuh – ?
Finally at the end of the webcast, the camera turned around and there was Radiohead, instruments in hand, getting ready to play. They performed a new song which is believed to be “Knives Out”. We’re still waiting for confirmation on that. Some of the lyrics can be found at the official site here. Overall, it was great fun. Radiohead definitely has the luckiest fans in the world. Count on that.
In other news…
There is a small article in the current issue of Rolling Stone which features Thom. Here is what he had to say about the millennium:
“In the near future, I will build a bunker for myself and all my friends. It will go down a long, long way, and I will buy some nuclear missiles when the money comes through and hold all the faceless powers for ransom until they show themselves for who they really are. I shall then bring about world peace by singing “Kumbaya.”
Many thanks to J for that.