Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thom Yorke Vs. Atoms For Peace

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Thom Yorke Vs. Atoms For Peace (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Eraser Renditions Do You Prefer?

1. Voted Thom Yorke Solo Eraser In Studio (18 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Fullband Atoms For Peace Eraser Live (18 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

pitol

pitol

Antenna beam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts
sweet name dude
i always like going south somehow it feels like going downhill

dayan a

dayan a

• Members
  • 8,895 posts
have not seen any afp videos except their performance of harrowdown hill, which was alright. do love the eraser though

mgfoster

mgfoster

Topsey-Turvey Town

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
Easily Thom Yorke for me, I enjoyed seeing Atoms For Peace, but the songs definitely worked better with the abstract electronica that didn't require the 4 other people.

lifer

lifer

thumb buster

• Members
  • 5,757 posts
why don't people like flea?

i was pretty mesmerized watching him and thom work their magic on black swan

(no vote until i hear afp)

come on. dream on..

babydoctor

babydoctor

dragon wizard dracogenius

• Members
  • 15,774 posts
i don't really have anything against flea personally. he's a good bass player and an interesting choice to play those songs. i'm not clamoring for a solo thom studio album: featuring flea, though.

Medicate

Medicate

A post on the internets.

• Members
  • 5,512 posts
are there any sort of decent AFP recordings floating around these days? i've heard none of the stuff played as a full band - and am interested in hearing what the eraser material sounds like in the hands of a full band.

skylark

skylark

daydreams about night things

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

are there any sort of decent AFP recordings floating around these days? i've heard none of the stuff played as a full band - and am interested in hearing what the eraser material sounds like in the hands of a full band.

Still haven't found out how to link stuff from this very board(such a noob) but if you scroll down the 'Upload and Share' page in 'Live Music' you'll find an Oakland '10 thread. the first link is dead but if you move further down the thread, someone has posted a new, working link. It's not soundboard or anything but it works for me, and a stellar setlist including Follow Me Around.

Edit: Oh, and if your not familiar with torrents, download and run Bittorrent, it'll change your life...

Medicate

Medicate

A post on the internets.

• Members
  • 5,512 posts

Still haven't found out how to link stuff from this very board(such a noob) but if you scroll down the 'Upload and Share' page in 'Live Music' you'll find an Oakland '10 thread. the first link is dead but if you move further down the thread, someone has posted a new, working link. It's not soundboard or anything but it works for me, and a stellar setlist including Follow Me Around.

Edit: Oh, and if your not familiar with torrents, download and run Bittorrent, it'll change your life...

familiar with torrents - im just being lazy and hoped someone would be all "oh here you go mediafire link BAM!"

thanks though - ill breeze through that thread here in a bit

gentil géant

gentil géant

pas un meurtre en passant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts
vote!

Posted Image

danseurs témoins, dans la vie, il faut d'abord durer

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire/New York
its true that some songs are better on The Eraser and some are better live, but you can't argue that Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses, especially the Fuji Rock Festival performance, is so fucking bad ass live

total waste of time... :smoke_coo 

we all die anyways...why not just enjoy the way out

thedevilsway

thedevilsway

pablothewizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationEngland
I think the studio versions of the Eraser songs are comfortably more listenable than the live versions. No contest!

Obviously live there is a great deal of excitement, energy and funk present, but unless you are actually there immersed in the live experience the studio cuts are the only ones for repeated listening in my opinion.

And It Rained All Night and Cymbal Rush are two of my favourite all time tracks by anyone - awesome.

I cannot understand anyone suggesting that The Clock is better live than on the album - every time I've heard/seen it live it has only ever been merely "good" and a shadow of the original!

As for H.Hill I agree completely that the live version borders on rubbish compared to the album version....

Having said all that the Fuji FPABH is indeed jaw-droppingly good!

gentil géant

gentil géant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts

I cannot understand anyone suggesting that The Clock is better live than on the album - every time I've heard/seen it live it has only ever been merely "good" and a shadow of the original!

love clock live, sounds crunchy and full

in the end, i jus happen to respect live music over mixing and mastering in the studio i think, which anyone can pretty much accomplish

i dont think the eraser was an album necessarily made for rearranging live like that though, so theres that, and that pretty much makes the afp band even more successful i think

Posted Image

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire/New York
you can't argue that the acoustic version of The Clock is up for equal competition

total waste of time... :smoke_coo 

we all die anyways...why not just enjoy the way out

gentil géant

gentil géant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts
yeah its good too

the thom yorke live renditions could be brought into the fold

i love me some acoustic atoms for peace(the song)

Posted Image

gentil géant

gentil géant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts
analyze live from the basement or from the mercury awards beats any other version really

Posted Image

Retbutler

Retbutler

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Would anyone else agree that this kind of outshines the original?

Turns out Jonny can do Thom solo better than Thom ^_^
"If you want to be entertained, go and see Hanson"

Kid Zed

Kid Zed

not feeling clever or witty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationVenice, CA
AFP's rendition of The Eraser at Coachella was a religious experience...I heard it first, then listened to The Eraser.

The live version by a long shot.
The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.