Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The King of Limbs Influence

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
So me and the lead songwriter in my band are crazy into Radiohead. Sometimes we find parts in our original music that might sound too much like a "radiohead thing" and we have to ditch it. Just for fun we put together a new song and threw out our "too close to radiohead" rule and I thought you guys might get a kick out of listening to this track...which is definitely TKOL influenced. I'd say its mostly the beat it's very supercollidery.

http://www.reverbnat...details/9341819

GreenLanta

GreenLanta

fluorescent luna moth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationOz
I can see what you mean re: the rhythm owing a lot to RH/Supercollider, but the song itself reminds me of someone else entirely. Can't quite think who right now - maybe Cold War Kids(?)... don't wanna insult you guys.

Anyway, I enjoyed it! :) Which one are you in the band pic?

~ Radiohedonist ~

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
I'm on the far right. But yeah I'm not offended by cold war kids. I'm only familiar with like one of their songs but I like it, so okay. Yeah it's definitely something different but when he brought it to me I thought it was very interesting to hear the whole tkol influence in the bass and percussion. He (my friend, songwriter) had been talking about how much he loves the tightness that colin and phil have together and then the next song he brings up is this one and I was like man thats the supercollider beat we can't use that! I play a real drum set so when we start working it out as a band it will become less of a rip off.

MuslimsLoveBombs

MuslimsLoveBombs

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

I'm on the far right. But yeah I'm not offended by cold war kids. I'm only familiar with like one of their songs but I like it, so okay. Yeah it's definitely something different but when he brought it to me I thought it was very interesting to hear the whole tkol influence in the bass and percussion. He (my friend, songwriter) had been talking about how much he loves the tightness that colin and phil have together and then the next song he brings up is this one and I was like man thats the supercollider beat we can't use that! I play a real drum set so when we start working it out as a band it will become less of a rip off.

Use the Supercollider beat! Take some of Colins bass. People who care enough to actually have a go at you for it are over protective, bitching, often stuck up, smartass, little whining fanny boys/girls of Radiohead. Music is music. No one owns shit. It's not like there's anything original about anyones music anymore anyway. Even Radioheads.

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Well yesterday we played real drums over the track along with the electronic beats and they do sound awesome together so maybe we will keep it. Thanks for listening.

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I like it, it does sound King of Limbs-ish but that's not a bad thing.
Also love your band's name.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

nidami

nidami

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
all songs are the same in essence just copy it's fun, this song is awesome btw, better than supercollider

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

this song is awesome btw, better than supercollider

thanks, tell that to a record company lol

sacos

sacos

twitching and salivating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
if you had not said supercollider before posting the link to the song, i would not have thought of it while listening to your band´s song...

sounds good.

it is hard not to have an electronic beat that is not similar to something else...i think it is safe to say that everyone influences everyone up to a certain degree (well, with obvious exceptions)...

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
its obviously a completely different song just right at the beginning when that beat starts i always think supercollider. we are a three piece band that has never recorded a song with electronic beats so to us its more of "a radiohead thing" than it is to a standard listener i guess

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
I don't know if any of you guys recall this thread...but I wanted to share the finished product of this song now that it's done almost a year later. Anyone who is reading this for the first time, my friend wrote a song that was sort of built around the supercollider rhythm. Maybe I'm a shameless promoter but I also think it's interesting to hear the radiohead influence in other music

Www.reverbnation.com/woolymamas
The track is called "Curtain"

Desired Constellation 6

Desired Constellation 6

Disappearing into Darkness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I don't know if any of you guys recall this thread...but I wanted to share the finished product of this song now that it's done almost a year later. Anyone who is reading this for the first time, my friend wrote a song that was sort of built around the supercollider rhythm. Maybe I'm a shameless promoter but I also think it's interesting to hear the radiohead influence in other music

Www.reverbnation.com/woolymamas
The track is called "Curtain"

Sounds really good dude, I like how it builds up more near the end. Are you doing the vocals or is your friend?

73abd8acf6ecbd73e3793b594dc622a0_width_6

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

thats my friend he's the singer/songwriter/guitarist. i'm the drummer. and back up vocalist occassionally. thanks for taking the time to listen i really appreciate it!

TheDrunkMachine

TheDrunkMachine

Talk Show Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationWashington (The State)

It reminds me of Menomena. Which means it's quite good!

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
I'm really glad my fellow radiohead fans like it. We just finished this album after working on it for many months. We are nobodies in the Nashville rock music scene right now but im hoping we can start flooding the town with these CDs and get more gigs and make a name for ourselves. Again, thanks so much for listening.

bedroomghost

bedroomghost

Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

I would rather you have instrumental parts that sounds like Radiohead than to have a lead vocalist that sounds like Thom.     If you can pull off the ethereal beauty of RH sounds while adding your own unique signature, you're already a hundred steps ahead of most up-and-coming bands.

Treehut

Treehut

----

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Sounds really good dude, I like how it builds up more near the end. Are you doing the vocals or is your friend?

I like your photograph of the luminous sky.

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
Oh I certainly wouldn't stand for any vocalist I played with attempting to sound like thom believe you me.Blasphemous

Treehut

Treehut

----

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

reverse running.

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip