Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ED Solo

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

ro32xx

ro32xx

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationEngland

People that think Thom is some sort of god and the greatest musical genius ever, is the kind of people that Thom dont like.

Jools Holland has said it a few times, he is a musical genius to many, and I doubt he'd dislike anyone for thinking that, although he is very modest and under plays his talent in interviews.

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
radiohead.atwebpages.com

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

IN PORTRAIT

IN PORTRAIT

*Aisfle*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationArgentina

one and i am out , i am not comparing , i am talking about " ways " of using the language and expressions . Comparing would be saying women are better than man or man better than women .

the way people talk in here to me it's more related to the natural language or ways of seeing things , as women do . that s all . comparisons in the way of " better " or " worst " is what hurts to myself and my heart , am i exaggerating ? perhaps , but that s just a way to try to make you MORON understand . . . . even when I know it wont happen . anyway . . . . I LOVE U MORON , just for being a human being , that s why i care to try to make you understand .

lol, you didn't understand my post either 'cause there's not only ONE way of comparing (or however you like to call it) things, as you can see you compared too, in a different way, but in the end you're stating women are stupider or whatever than men ... mr pseudo hippie who doesn't "compare"... oh please... gtfo

btw, of course it's my personal thought that Thom is better than etc etc.... you're still allowed on having your own opinion.

www.soundcloud.com/in-portrait

fuckingshit

fuckingshit

alarmed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It will be very good.

Charles, get the rifle out. We're being fucked.

Guest_WTF Picky!_*

Guest_WTF Picky!_*
  • Guests

It will be very good.

thank you for this

IN PORTRAIT

IN PORTRAIT

*Aisfle*

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationArgentina
This reminds me...

John Lennon: We (Beatles) are bigger than Jesus.

Fans: No they are not! We must burn our Beatles records.

two months later....

Fans: Hey i burned my beatles records, could you lend me yours, please?

Ed O'Beard

Ed O'Beard

Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Ed wrote Meeting in the Aisle.
He wrote Meeting in the Aisle.

which you hear part of in separator . . . .

phil's effort bores me. and i never got into thom's

i think ed will rock more. which is the part of radiohead i rather. if i had to pick. i'm 35, i'm old school ;-)

Posted Image

Coz

Coz

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationHyperspace
What's with all the Phil bashing? His album wasn't great, I admit, but is much more enjoyable than half of the music out there. Since when is The Eraser overrated? Yes, Thom gets a lot of hype, but don't all lead singers usually get that. And with Thom, it's for a reason.

Anyways, back to Ed. I am really looking forward to this. I think it might be more rock-ish than The Eraser, due to Ed's musical tastes, and how he wanted to go back to the rock roots of Radiohead. I also think there will be some weird ambience or something. His voice is amazing, even if it's in the background. I hope that he wasn't just blowing smoke when he said he was writing songs.
Posted Image

GirlFromAnywhere

GirlFromAnywhere

Dirty thoughts about Thom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If anything, The Eraser is pretty underrated. It is an awesome album that got better with time and some songs, like The Eraser, Cymbal Rush, Analyse and Black Swan are on pair with some of the best Radiohead songs. IMO The Eraser has some of Thom's best lyrics as well.

Thom IS a genius musician, him liking being called it or not. His work with Radiohead is proof of it, as well his solo work and his work with other musicians (how unfair it is to ignore his many collaborations with other artists. His singing on songs with Unkle, Bjork, PJ Harvey alone are better than most artists could ask for on an entire career. His work on the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack is brilliant, and let's not even start with the Modeselektor and Burial tracks).

So, taking in account what Thom did until now, to come and say that Ed might make a better album than The Eraser is something I can't even conceive... for real, WHAT did Ed ever do to make someone think that? Backing Vocals? Really? Ed is a great musician, I have no doubts about that (all of them are), but he, probably, would be the first to admit he has nothing near the talent Thom and Jonny have. These two are on a different league. Jonny's classical talent is amazing. It was always there and it would be a shame do not let him develop it though his orchestral work and movie scores. And Thom is a singer/songwriter since he was born. If not for his ambition on being a rockstar as a child, playing and writing lyrics like crazy, we wouldn't have Radiohead. He is a natural singer, anyone can see that he is a complete person when he is in his front man role on stage.

And, let's note, both Thom and Jonny bring these elements together in Radiohead. Do you see Phil adding something to Radiohead through his solo music? OK, no. And I see the same happening with Ed solo. They won't add anything to Radiohead, on the contrary, it might disperse their attention to the band and make the end comes faster than would naturally come if they still focused in doing what they do best as a group.

yeah, I know, not a very fan friendly opinion but... whatever. I wouldn't support Thom if he decided to become an actor or a politician either. Phil trying to pose as an VERY awkward frontman and Ed going solo are comparable to that, IMO.

then youre wrong

then youre wrong

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
ED WROTE MEETING IN THE AISLE!?

If that's true then I'm excited as shit for his solo work.

That song is so cool.what a great mood.

'Remember, 99% of everything anyone tells you is a lie.
Don't let the demons get you.
They got me.
'

-Chieftan Mews

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The truth will mess you up.

IN PORTRAIT

IN PORTRAIT

*Aisfle*

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationArgentina

If anything, The Eraser is pretty underrated. It is an awesome album that got better with time and some songs, like The Eraser, Cymbal Rush, Analyse and Black Swan are on pair with some of the best Radiohead songs. IMO The Eraser has some of Thom's best lyrics as well.

Thom IS a genius musician, him liking being called it or not. His work with Radiohead is proof of it, as well his solo work and his work with other musicians (how unfair it is to ignore his many collaborations with other artists. His singing on songs with Unkle, Bjork, PJ Harvey alone are better than most artists could ask for on an entire career. His work on the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack is brilliant, and let's not even start with the Modeselektor and Burial tracks).

So, taking in account what Thom did until now, to come and say that Ed might make a better album than The Eraser is something I can't even conceive... for real, WHAT did Ed ever do to make someone think that? Backing Vocals? Really? Ed is a great musician, I have no doubts about that (all of them are), but he, probably, would be the first to admit he has nothing near the talent Thom and Jonny have. These two are on a different league. Jonny's classical talent is amazing. It was always there and it would be a shame do not let him develop it though his orchestral work and movie scores. And Thom is a singer/songwriter since he was born. If not for his ambition on being a rockstar as a child, playing and writing lyrics like crazy, we wouldn't have Radiohead. He is a natural singer, anyone can see that he is a complete person when he is in his front man role on stage.

And, let's note, both Thom and Jonny bring these elements together in Radiohead. Do you see Phil adding something to Radiohead through his solo music? OK, no. And I see the same happening with Ed solo. They won't add anything to Radiohead, on the contrary, it might disperse their attention to the band and make the end comes faster than would naturally come if they still focused in doing what they do best as a group.

yeah, I know, not a very fan friendly opinion but... whatever. I wouldn't support Thom if he decided to become an actor or a politician either. Phil trying to pose as an VERY awkward frontman and Ed going solo are comparable to that, IMO.

this... say no more.

lost-child

lost-child

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
If he actually makes one, what if Ed doesn't sing on his album ?

coco

coco

in rainbows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Jools Holland has said it a few times, he is a musical genius to many, and I doubt he'd dislike anyone for thinking that, although he is very modest and under plays his talent in interviews.

Ohh if jools holland said it...

Seriously though guys,
jonny's solo stuff>thom's>phil's

GirlFromAnywhere

GirlFromAnywhere

Dirty thoughts about Thom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Seriously though guys,
jonny's solo stuff>thom's>phil's

Jonny's voice is amazing, his lyrics and pop compositions are way better than Thom's... man! I love his Harrowdown Hill type of writing style... wait! Jonny doesn't write lyrics and anti pop music... my bad...

Thom's orchestral work is way better than Jonny's... wait! Thom doesn't even read music! my bad...

so, yeah, we can't really compare both.

BUT... I can compare Phil and Thom's work, and I can say that as a singer/songwriter... he is a great drummer. :mellow:

SHealer

SHealer

Amnesiac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
I honestly don't get the hate for Familial and Running Blind. I think they're a fantastic album & EP respectively. It would be a different matter if they were objectively bad, but it seems people don't get that it's not going to sound like Radiohead and hate it as a result. By all means don't like it, but it to actively hate it? Please.
Peep. "Yes?" "Mmmmorrre coookiesss......."

funnyHAHA

funnyHAHA

funnyhow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
lotta dismissive assholes here.............no surprise there.

nobody knows how much ed contributes to the band.
people all assume it's thom and jonny.
wow, slap in the face to the rest of the band.
if ed didn't contribute much, why have him in the band?

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if his solo album was amazing and shut everyone the fuck up who thinks all he does is back up vocals and weird ambient noises.
all the juvenile remarks about him are pretty telling about the "fans" here.
i mean really, generally he's reduced to being a handsome guy who sings backing vocals live and makes weird noises.
lets see, i can play the dismissive/reductive game too:

thom yorke has his head in electronica world with blips and icy drum beats and self indulgent computer noise chatter.
the eraser was written on his fucking laptop after all.
the spitting feathers EP is just more masturbatory electronic drivel.

jonny likes to make highly postmodern, avant garde solo stuff.
his orchestral work is great and all but it's all a penderecki rip off anyway.
i mean he's not even subtle with it at ALL.
and doing a film soundtrack score isn't nearly as challenging as writing actual songs with lyrics and singing.
bodysong? esoteric, abstract noises and half concepts.

yay, being a dismissive asshole is fun.

-----------
----
-
_______________ - - -----------_______

_ ___________________ ______________

_____-------------------_________----_--____-__-_8_________

Ptolemy

Ptolemy

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationBoston

yes, but maybe darker. .. more like go slowly, bodysnatchers mixed up together... ..

yeah...

THOM IS FUCKING OVERRATED.. . .

i dont like to consider thom as a better musician than the others.
he comes up with nice lyrics, good song writing, and he really knows how to make the best of his voice...

but jonny is the musical director of bbc........
phil among the best drummers of all time...
ed is among the sexiest rockers of all time...
colin is like the nicer classy guy ever...

so..... thom is thom yeah... but phil is phil, colin is colin, jonny is jonny and ed is hot

so?

I see your point but I think it is fucking retarded when people try to take credit away from Thom. You just called 90% of radioheads music good song writing. You just called 90% of radioheads music good song writing.

Ptolemy

Ptolemy

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationBoston
We can all agree that Jonny's soundtracks were amazing as soundtracks but not as much by themselves. If you actually sit by yourself and listen to the entirety of the bodysong soundtrack, then your head is shoved way too far up your own ass

Girl In Rainbows

Girl In Rainbows

climbing up jonny's wall

• Members
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationJonny's Bedroom

We can all agree that Jonny's soundtracks were amazing as soundtracks but not as much by themselves. If you actually sit by yourself and listen to the entirety of the bodysong soundtrack, then your head is shoved way too far up your own ass

I strongly disagree, please dont categorize all of us into these typical opinions some people have, some off actually truly do enjoy listening to his soundtracks. Some of us also really really like listening to familial and dont feel the need to compare it to radiohead or thom.

IN PORTRAIT

IN PORTRAIT

*Aisfle*

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationArgentina

lotta dismissive assholes here.............no surprise there.

nobody knows how much ed contributes to the band.
people all assume it's thom and jonny.
wow, slap in the face to the rest of the band.
if ed didn't contribute much, why have him in the band?

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if his solo album was amazing and shut everyone the fuck up who thinks all he does is back up vocals and weird ambient noises.
all the juvenile remarks about him are pretty telling about the "fans" here.
i mean really, generally he's reduced to being a handsome guy who sings backing vocals live and makes weird noises.
lets see, i can play the dismissive/reductive game too:

thom yorke has his head in electronica world with blips and icy drum beats and self indulgent computer noise chatter.
the eraser was written on his fucking laptop after all.
the spitting feathers EP is just more masturbatory electronic drivel.

jonny likes to make highly postmodern, avant garde solo stuff.
his orchestral work is great and all but it's all a penderecki rip off anyway.
i mean he's not even subtle with it at ALL.
and doing a film soundtrack score isn't nearly as challenging as writing actual songs with lyrics and singing.
bodysong? esoteric, abstract noises and half concepts.

yay, being a dismissive asshole is fun.

so many words and all you said was NOTHING. and even got the nerve to repeat dismissive asshole twice... pfff

funnyHAHA

funnyHAHA

funnyhow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

so many words and all you said was NOTHING. and even got the nerve to repeat dismissive asshole twice... pfff

no, i think i made my point.

-----------
----
-
_______________ - - -----------_______

_ ___________________ ______________

_____-------------------_________----_--____-__-_8_________