Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Merge the Forums

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

chroma

chroma

rabid cultist

• Super Moderators
  • 33,145 posts
  • Locationwhere i am
Jonathan, would it be helpful to weed through the member list? there are a lot of names that were registered, some of them years ago, and never once used.

sigline6.jpg

six colored pictures all in a row of a marigold

chroma

chroma

rabid cultist

• Super Moderators
  • 33,145 posts
  • Locationwhere i am

the temp forum was like a little holiday in paradise after making this thread. so much smoother and appealing, and i'm sure any little issues could have been sorted out. problems with this forum aren't gonna get solved 'cos there's too much baggage and it's too much work. it's really hard to get rid of forums once you've added them. if it was all done by categories and tags, people could effectively have whatever subforums they wanted. it was potentially going to be perfect!

we might have just saved the database from destruction this time but chances are one day all this stuff is probably gonna bite the dust, you're going to have to face up to that sooner or later guys. this seemed like as good a time as any. i didn't post 6,7,8 years ago thinking that i was carving my posts into some marble block that would forever remain viewable... i definitely started restraining myself here when i started getting jobs, a life etc. in my opinion, Mortigi is a bit less fun for being forever there. a hard reset every few years is a reasonable expectation and should be welcomed- let's work something out. archive the best threads, and revitalise like time lords every now and then. rip it up and start again.

personally, i don't mind losing the old stuff as i said before. and i think a lot of people here now weren't here back in the early years so they probably wouldn't care. like, say, pre- in rainbows period. but i recognize that not everybody feels that way.

though i didn't like the temp board at first, once categories and tagging were brought in it seemed more workable. but there were problems, too - it was pretty dependent on people using the tag/category system in a way that would work for everybody. and there are a lot of people who would just refuse to do that. and again, not everyone liked it. an awful lot of regular users, people who post a lot more often than either you or i, were pretty unhappy with it. there was a horrendous lag that occurred multiple times - maybe that was a problem because it was a temp board, but it was unpleasantly reminiscent of at ease in the olde days, when you'd click on a link and 10 minutes later still be waiting. at any rate, this is what we have. i think it looks pretty nice. as far as merging forums, i do think some of the rh forums could be combined without problem, but i think people were pretty adamant about not merging the off-topic forums, and with this kind of system, thats my feeling as well.

sigline6.jpg

Pinch

Pinch

bubblegum poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts
Personally i just like the look of this forum better, the other looked like a chat room or something

number images

ireeeeeeene

ireeeeeeene

giving feminsm a bad name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,998 posts
I will be honest, I didn't care about losing posts/usernames etc, I was mostly concerned with how well the temporary forum worked--which was not very well for me.

Spoiler

jonathan

jonathan

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
I have merged the Collector's and Music of RH forums in to the General one and also created a new side projects one. Also pruned about 10,000 members who registered and never posted during the last 8 years.

rose ocean

rose ocean

Sir Didymus

• Members
  • 20,228 posts

I have merged the Collector's and Music of RH forums in to the General one and also created a new side projects one. Also pruned about 10,000 members who registered and never posted during the last 8 years.

:thumbsup:

96du.jpg

chroma

chroma

rabid cultist

• Super Moderators
  • 33,145 posts
  • Locationwhere i am

awesome, i hope that will relieve some of the problems.

sigline6.jpg

pennyroyalty

pennyroyalty

crazy like God

• Super Moderators
  • 38,077 posts
aye that's a lot better for the Radiohead forums! cindy i just assumed that kind of lag thing was a temporary teething problem, a similar thing is happening for me here atm.

jonathan

jonathan

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

aye that's a lot better for the Radiohead forums! cindy i just assumed that kind of lag thing was a temporary teething problem, a similar thing is happening for me here atm.

There is some slowness right now. In the background, the server is archiving close to 80% of all the topics here on MT (topics that haven't been posted in during the last 3 years) so that is causing some server load. Hopefully it will be zippy once that is over. *fingers crossed*

biggie p

biggie p

uh huh huh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,740 posts
i certainly like the look of this more than the temp board, and the merged forums were a good call. i think this is a good improvement and seems like a pretty fair compromise, though i wouldn't mind a hard reset either at some point

gentil géant

gentil géant

pas un meurtre en passant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts
only a few cosmetic differences to get used to for me

editing is in some weird code so i have to use full editor everytime

Posted Image

danseurs témoins, dans la vie, il faut d'abord durer

babydoctor

babydoctor

dragon wizard dracogenius

• Members
  • 15,816 posts
slick

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

festive as fuck

• Members
  • 11,840 posts
  • LocationTennessee
woo-hoo I can multiquote now!

pitol

pitol

Antenna beam

• Members
  • 4,269 posts
id suggest making the text bigger
i always like going south somehow it feels like going downhill

rose ocean

rose ocean

Sir Didymus

• Members
  • 20,228 posts

only a few cosmetic differences to get used to for me

editing is in some weird code so i have to use full editor everytime

what?

yeah

96du.jpg

box

box

Its Ovah. Its Ovah.

• Members
  • 24,164 posts
  • LocationSex in the Halls, Niagara Falls
You should merge SH&R with Computer Geekdom

46ad78fe-84e4-46cb-984e-75a6c402181b.png

gentil géant

gentil géant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts

what?

its all "p> and >br />" all over the place like quotes and when i try to actually edit my spelling inside those quotes or add something it says "type error" or simply doesnt edit the post and takes me back to the thread

so then i use full editor and its the simple kind of editing where theres no quote 'br />things<' so pretty much it takes twice as long now to edit and i edit alot

maybe i have cookie issues or something idk

anyone else see that? anyone have this problem

Posted Image

gentil géant

gentil géant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts

You should merge SH&R with Computer Geekdom

picturing sanitary napkins thrown at snap as he attempts to play videogames

Posted Image

ほたる

ほたる

bb

• Members
  • 7,894 posts

lost your big glasses??

Posted Image
Posted Image

rose ocean

rose ocean

Sir Didymus

• Members
  • 20,228 posts

its all "p> and >br />" all over the place like quotes and when i try to actually edit my spelling inside those quotes or add something it says "type error" or simply doesnt edit the post and takes me back to the thread

so then i use full editor and its the simple kind of editing where theres no quote 'br />things<' so pretty much it takes twice as long now to edit and i edit alot

maybe i have cookie issues or something idk

anyone else see that? anyone have this problem

yeah haven't had that issue at all

actually for a split second as the editor loads i see the br stuff flash on the screen but then it turns into normal editor style

96du.jpg