Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Show Thus Far: 2012

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Show Thus Far: 2012 (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Show 2012

1. Miami (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. Tampa (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

3. Atlanta (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

4. Houston (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. Dallas (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

6. Austin (2 votes [5.88%])

7. Austin (taping) (2 votes [5.88%])

8. St. Louis (2 votes [5.88%])

9. Kansas City (4 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

10. Broomfield (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Glendale (9 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
Ok, so the first leg is over. Out of these 11 shows which one would you want to have been at (or if you were there, why was that one the best?).

So, Dallas is the clear winner for me. The setlist is orgasmic and everyone that I have talked to that has been to multiple shows this tour says that was the best one.

I was at Phoenix and Denver and both were amazing. i would put Phoenix in a close second to Dallas just because of the amazing setlist and the band was so energetic and communicative. Many people on the rail were crying (which is usual, I guess). I do want to give a shout out to True love waits/EIIRP and NA/HB in Denver. That was worth all the driving alone!
*Be Constructive With Your Blues*

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,566 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I was at Atlanta, and it was awesome, but I voted for Glendale because not only was that version of Packt absolutely amazing, but they played my two favorite RH songs HTDC and Lucky.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

party woo

party woo

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • 2,422 posts
Kind of hard to vote unless you have seen all the shows right? But I'm still gonna cast my vote for TAMPA. Represent! Because I was there, it was early enough in the tour that people were still a little surprised by the set, they didn't make any technical mistakes and were, in fact, amazing, and nobody loves Tampa except Radiohead. It was so amazing they couldn't even make a recording of it, but someday it will all be known . . . You guys know Tampa was the best right? You all listened to the stream and had fun didn't you? T A M P A!

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
Well, there is no way to have an accurate opinion of the best show unless you were at all of them, but I think with reviews and setlists you can know what show you wish you were at the most. That's why i picked Dallas.

Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Houston. Best TAMTW yet, and the Nude-->Paranoid Android closer. What more could you ask for?

Bacon

Bacon

Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

I was at Atlanta, and it was awesome, but I voted for Glendale because not only was that version of Packt absolutely amazing, but they played my two favorite RH songs HTDC and Lucky.

I hadn't seen the bootleg of Packt yet

That's fucking fantastic
this space left intentionally blank

rosey

rosey

old bones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Well, there is no way to have an accurate opinion of the best show unless you were at all of them, but I think with reviews and setlists you can know what show you wish you were at the most. That's why i picked Dallas.

I've watched all the 'follow them around, youtube gigs' so I've a good idea of which ones I like best. Just watched the Glendale one and it's definitely my favourite...also enjoyed Tampa a lot.

babydoctor

babydoctor

dragon wizard dracogenius

• Members
  • 15,693 posts
glendale obviously cos i was there... houston was pretty amazing too. and whatever night they got orgy just because they got orgy, not sure you could walk away from that show not feeling like youd seen the best thing ever.

edit: oh dallas, also the night that got skirting. you lucky motherfuckers.

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
im really surprised that houston is getting votes. ive talked to a lot of people that were there that said the energy was really bad.

babydoctor

babydoctor

• Members
  • 15,693 posts
with the crowd or the band? im just going off streams and youtube videos obviously.

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

with the crowd or the band? im just going off streams and youtube videos obviously.

I heard that because the crowd kind of sucked the band wasn't really into it. I have the bootleg and it sounds great though.

party woo

party woo

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • 2,422 posts
I liked the Houston tape too. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and I haven't seen one yet that looked like "the band wasn't into it". I think they have been very professional and I can't imagine Radiohead phoning it in because the fans weren't into it like Axl Rose or something.

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,566 posts
  • LocationTennessee
was Houston the show where people were leaving early?

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

Club Sauce

Club Sauce

I'm only sleeping.

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
Dallas seemed like the best so far, in terms of set list.

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

was Houston the show where people were leaving early?

No. People were saying that thom was talking about people leaving early at the beginning of Skirting, but people have told me he was just pointing out a section that had been dancing the entire night when he said something like this one is for that lot over there.

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

I liked the Houston tape too. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and I haven't seen one yet that looked like "the band wasn't into it". I think they have been very professional and I can't imagine Radiohead phoning it in because the fans weren't into it like Axl Rose or something.

Have you seen them multiple times? I only ask because I think a different Radiohead shows up every night. I don't think they every just phone it in, but the energy is so different every night and I tihnk it has a lot to do with the vibe of the crowd and of course whatever is going on with the band. For example, in Denver they changed several songs on the setlist because the crowd was pretty pumped. So, they played really loud, energetic songs. The next show in Phoenix had a totally different vibe and the band didn't deviate from the setlist at all. It has nothing to do unprofessionalism, it has to do with a bunch of artists that ride the waves of emotion. That's what makes them so amazing. AND I promise you can't fully pick up on those vibes from youtube.

Victoria Justice

Victoria Justice

Remembering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationfloating down the bloody river
I think I'd choose the Miami show, I mean seeing them for the first time and a long time with the floating screens,MITA, and hearing Identikit for the very first time before anybody else would've been pretty sweet.
Posted Image

party woo

party woo

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • 2,422 posts

Have you seen them multiple times? I only ask because I think a different Radiohead shows up every night. I don't think they every just phone it in, but the energy is so different every night and I tihnk it has a lot to do with the vibe of the crowd and of course whatever is going on with the band. For example, in Denver they changed several songs on the setlist because the crowd was pretty pumped. So, they played really loud, energetic songs. The next show in Phoenix had a totally different vibe and the band didn't deviate from the setlist at all. It has nothing to do unprofessionalism, it has to do with a bunch of artists that ride the waves of emotion. That's what makes them so amazing. AND I promise you can't fully pick up on those vibes from youtube.

I agree with what you said about different shows having a different energy. I just get rattled when people make vague dismissals like "they weren't into it." What if someone in the band reads that and they decide to never come back to my city again? WHAT THEN PEOPLE?

I only went to the Tampa show this tour, and I saw them in Tampa on the last tour too. Both had a very different atmosphere and "vibe" if you will. This one was serious and focused and dark, but the one on the IR tour was more like a giant bar party with beach balls and glow sticks. And someone said the same thing about the recent show in Tampa, that Thom wasn't into it and seemed like he didn't want to be there, followed by some grumbling and whining that the show was too mellow and the band was punishing the bad Tampa fans by not playing The Gloaming. I can take criticism of the band but for some reason "Thom wasn't into it" bothers me more than anything. Especially if it's only the second show of the tour, as if Thom is ready to call it quits right from the start. I thought he was way into it at my show, and he was very physical and energetic. Sometimes he was jumping and dancing, sometimes just playing guitar and singing. He did a lot of this evil thing I can only describe as slithering and crouching. I happened to like the mellow vibe at the Tampa show. The atmosphere was dark and dreamy, it was Leap Day, it was a beautiful, warm spring night on the waterfront.

NervousMarionette

NervousMarionette

The lower echelons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

I agree with what you said about different shows having a different energy. I just get rattled when people make vague dismissals like "they weren't into it." What if someone in the band reads that and they decide to never come back to my city again? WHAT THEN PEOPLE?

I only went to the Tampa show this tour, and I saw them in Tampa on the last tour too. Both had a very different atmosphere and "vibe" if you will. This one was serious and focused and dark, but the one on the IR tour was more like a giant bar party with beach balls and glow sticks. And someone said the same thing about the recent show in Tampa, that Thom wasn't into it and seemed like he didn't want to be there, followed by some grumbling and whining that the show was too mellow and the band was punishing the bad Tampa fans by not playing The Gloaming. I can take criticism of the band but for some reason "Thom wasn't into it" bothers me more than anything. Especially if it's only the second show of the tour, as if Thom is ready to call it quits right from the start. I thought he was way into it at my show, and he was very physical and energetic. Sometimes he was jumping and dancing, sometimes just playing guitar and singing. He did a lot of this evil thing I can only describe as slithering and crouching. I happened to like the mellow vibe at the Tampa show. The atmosphere was dark and dreamy, it was Leap Day, it was a beautiful, warm spring night on the waterfront.

Agreed. But it would also be ridiculous to think that they have never had an off night too. I'm not saying Houston was an off night for sure because I wasn't there. But when 10 people say the same thing, I tend to think there might be some truth to it. Also, just because a band has an off night doesn't mean they are unprofessional or phoning it in. It could just be that they are human and one show may have been better than another. AND, somebody saying one show was better than another will not result in the band breaking up or never come back to your city. Also, It's ok to be critical of even the things you love most. It doesn't mean you hate Radiohead or something if you say they weren't as good (had an off night) in one city as they were in another...

babydoctor

babydoctor

• Members
  • 15,693 posts
it's tough to say what you should judge it on anyway. like i voted for phoenix - why? cos i was there. it sounded really good. but the audience was kinda crappy to be honest, not bottom of the barrel but it took 7 or 8 songs for them to even start responding to the performances. most people around me were sitting, and the people standing weren't moving much except on specific songs. it's hard to get into the songs as much as you want in that atmosphere and that effects enjoyment. also, the sound isn't simple to judge either. it sounded perfect in person, but it isn't without blemish on the youtube videos. the boots and videos don't really capture what it sounded like in person, might emphasize certain sound ranges that aren't as flattering. and did the band play spotlessly? no distracting phasing between the multiple drummers? was the improvisational aspect really passionate and memorable? how was thom's voice sounding? what songs did they choose to play, and in what order? there could be any combination of answers to these questions. i listened to the houston gig earlier today and it sounded really good, except it wasn't thom's best vocal performance ever, but it didn't ruin it for me, and he nailed some songs. but i'm just sitting here listening to it, not there trying to have the night of my life, and as i said the boots don't really represent what it sounded like to be there.