Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Alternative Top 10 Radiohead Songs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

Treehut

Treehut

Amnesiac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
Lurgee
Sulk
sit down stand up
ther there
wierd fishes

RadioFire

RadioFire

Paper Menoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
1. Amazing Sounds of Orgy
2. Trans-Atlantic Drawl
3. Sulk
4. We Suck Young Blood
5. Pearly*
6. I Will
7. The Bends
8. Hunting Bears
9. 4 Minute Warning
10. Banana Co.

Lazuarna

Lazuarna

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Lurgee
Sulk
sit down stand up
ther there
wierd fishes

Really? :icon_eek:

rank

rank

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I am a sucker for these type of meaningless exercises, so (in no particular order):

Planet Telex: I was working at a music store in '95 & we got an advance of The Bends & my manager thought I would like it. I had listened to Pablo Honey & liked it but wasn't crazy about it but I put on The Bends & was BLOWN AWAY but Planet Telex (& the rest of it really). A damn near perfect track you don't really ever hear much about.

A Reminder: Just a beautiful track that I am surprised no one has listed yet. The way this track floats is amazing to me & is a definite indicator of the direction they would ultimately take.

Climbing Up The Walls: This track is just creepy. The air of menace still sends chills up my spine & the when it finally unleashes, it is staggering. Thom's scream at the end is blood curdling. I also want to give mention to the Zero 7 mix of the song, which completely changes the dynamic but is amazing in itself.

Optimistic/In Limbo: When I first heard Kid A, it was as a promo with no song titles. We had to listen to it in one sitting, so I couldn't tell where one song started & one ended. Until the album was released, I always thought these 2 tracks were one song. I still feel like they should be.

Mouse Dog Bird: This will probably start some shit but I much prefer the acoustic version to what ultimately became Seperator. The acoustic chords are superior to the repetitive drum beat of the final version. It ended up a Radiohead song so I think its inclusion here is warranted.

The Tourist: a perfect example of the lyrics & music complementing each other & I think it is their best album closer.

These Are My Twisted Words: This songs came out of nowhere & I still remember reading some internet reviews saying it wasn't Radiohead at all, but someone trying to play a prank. It sounds like the aural equivalent of listening to a field of rosebushes, all twisted, mangled & thorny. You can't tell where one branch starts & the other ends but they all have thorns. Perfectly represented by the accompanying artwork & a great precursor to TKOL.

Lozenge of Love: This is what I would refer to as a "lost gem". I have made a dozen alternate playlists for The Bends & this always ends up on it.

Bulletproof: This songs sounds like listening to smoke rings. Not a wasted note in this song...

Maquiladora: Left off of The Bends for being too heavy. I seem to remember them saying it sounded too much like Guns N Roses. Not a perfect song, by any means, but deserving of a better place than it ended up. Jonny is exquisite on this one (as usual...)

chroma

chroma

rabid cultist

• Super Moderators
  • 33,867 posts
ok, this still feels weird, but here goes:

not in order

amazing sounds of orgy
*pearly*******************
fog (again)
meeting in the aisles
lozenge of love
gagging order

hmmm all bsides better put some album tracks in there

bulletproof
in limbo
faust arp

and uhhhhhhhhh

uhh

pulk.

sigline6.jpg

six colored pictures all in a row of a marigold

crazyaga

crazyaga

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
im now making epic b-sides list :3

Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong - wow. just wow. this song is superb, and easily my favorite song from the bends era.
the emotion in this song is just breath-taking, and the lyrics are pure genious. "I didn't feel pain, 'cause no one can touch me"

Fast Track - this. song. is. fucking. genious.
i love every moment of it. and the ending of the song is just FUCKING BRAIN MELTING.

These Are My Twisted Words - very unique and hypnotizing song.
this song got the "holy shit, this is amazing" vibe in it.

Permanent Daylight - wow. just wow. amazing song, amazing lyrics.

Lozenge of love - another great song from iron lung ep. very relaxing and beautyful.

Down Is The new Up - WOWOWOWOW. this song got the apocalyptic vibe, so awesome.
the singing in this song is pure , pure genious.

Staircase - breath taking hypnotizing b-side, amazing lyrics. "let me take controll"

Go Slowly - superb b-side. really makes you feel slow.
beautyful song. i love the ending :3

The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy - HOLY SHIT.
this b-side is breath taking. genious bass.

Last Flowers - what a beautyfull song... espicially the climax of it.
it has amazing lyrics, too.

4 Minute Warning - relexing and beautyfull....
exactly the song you need after a hard day :D

A Reminder - another relexing song... beautyful intro.

Yes I Am - probaly my favorite pablo-honey era song, along with you.
superb song imo, very underrated.

Fog - very beautyful spiritual song. GENIOUS LYRICS. awesome bass

Bishop's robes - AMAZING SONG. people barely talk about this b-side. i think its breath-taking and full of emotion.

Kinetic - i LOVE the echo on the drums. really gives alot of tension to the song.
another amazing amnesiac b-side.

How I Made My Millions - Pure beauty. very simple , yet amazingly emotional.

The Daily mail - Awesome song. the piano part is beautyfull,
and the rockish part is also great.
TKOL is underrated.

WeAreOne

WeAreOne

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Where Bluebirds Fly
Scatterbrain
Amazing sounds of orgy
Fog
Worrywort
Pulk Pull
Fitter Happier
In limbo (which is in my real top 10 though)
(Nice Dream)
Feral
Supercollider
Down is the new up
Dollars and cents
Kid A

subterranean homesick sam

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

WORRY WORT (this fucking song)
4 Minute warning
Lull
I am Citizen insane

These songs give me the tingles and they aren't even on albums. A pretty good alt radiohead nugget i must say.
'Standing in the shadows at the end of my bed'

Treehut

Treehut

Amnesiac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
Lull is a very good song no matter what you say. The guitar in Lewis (Mistreated) is very good. The Trickster sounds like an American rock band.

Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien

Subterranean Homesick Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts
NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAAAAYYYAAY

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAAAAYYYAAY

beautiful song
'Standing in the shadows at the end of my bed'

funnyHAHA

funnyHAHA

funnyhow

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
In no particular order:

Airbag
Optimistic
Pyramid Song
2+2=5
These Are My Twisted Words
Nude
Down Is The New Up
There There
Paperbag Writer

funnyHAHA

funnyHAHA

funnyhow

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Scrumch

Scrumch

The Sandman

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

In no particular order:

Airbag
Optimistic
Pyramid Song
2+2=5
These Are My Twisted Words
Nude
Down Is The New Up
There There
Paperbag Writer

If these are your alternates.....nevermind

:icon_indi Tinker Twat Sphincter Bum Mouse Dog Bird  :jonny: 

Muggs

Muggs

*blink*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • How I Made My Millions - I love all the little accidental noises in it
  • The Amazing Sound of Orgy - 1st heard this on A Scanner Darkly and spent the rest of the film sounds kinda like Radiohead???..noway!
  • The Butcher
  • Down Is the New Up
  • Go Slowly - for some reason In Rainbows CD2 never seems to get enough love
  • Like Spinning Plates
  • How To Disappear Completely - seems to be a bit forgotten these days
  • Hunting Bears
  • Palo Alto - Fell in love with it after seeing Meeting People is Easy
  • Fog (again)

「今晩は。お元気ですか?少々お時間を頂けますか?ダンスをしようとしている変な男がいるんです」
'Good evening, How are you? Could you wait for a minutes? Here is a strange man dancing from now.'

w w w .E r s M e e n o . c o m

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,376 posts
"Alternative" top ten is a phrase that means nothing to me, so here's my regular top ten, ill-thought out and rushed before work:

1. Kid A
2. Videotape
3. Where I End and You Begin
4. Idioteque
5. Like Spinning Plates
6. Bodysnatchers
7. Everything in its Right Place
8. Life in a Glasshouse
9. Down Is The New Up
10. Nude

Pretty heavy on Kid A and In Rainbows, but that's because they are the two best Radiohead albums.

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg

SavingBears

SavingBears

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
OK... I love Radiohead, I love lists, I love talking about Radiohead, so I'll play...

1. My Iron Lung... For my money, THIS song is the one that encapsulates pre-Kid A RH... Yes, there's a substantial number of songs ahead of it in most people's minds, including "Creep" itself, but I think this one would have to be in the top 3 of THAT list... Also, it was the first post-Pablo song I heard, and convinced me there was something more going on..... Got the EP as an import back in my college radio days, well in advance of The Bends...

2. Fog... Though you needed to really dig for it, I consider this to be the real bridge between pre-Kid A and Kid/Amn stuff... Moreso than Optimistic or Knives Out... Criminally overlooked, it also makes my "actual" Top 10...

3. Up on the Ladder... Take your pick, the Salamanca live version or the IR CD2... I love 'em both, though I think if they'd recorded the former and put it on HTTT in place of, say, Punchup, it would've been much easier for folks to get into that album....

4. Little By Little... I am still surprised at the flak this one's gotten... I really thought it carried the classic Radiohead thread forward into newer rhythmic territory; maybe that's why so many didn't like it, it was TOO much like the Radiohead they knew...

5. Dollars & Cents... Though it hasn't been COMPLETELY overlooked, it definitely does sit in the shadow of EEIRP, HTDC, Idioteque, Pyramid, YAWA, and LPS as the consensus emblematic songs from those albums... It shouldn't... At least not for all those songs... As a body of work, the KidA/Amn sessions are gonna go down as their most original works... And while Dollars wasn't shocking upon 1st listen, the way they execute the build-up and atmosphere is masterful... Ditto for the next one...

6. Sit Down Stand Up... Again, not completely overlooked, but in terms of HTTT squarely in the shadow of 2+2=5, ThereThere, AWATD, WIEAYB, and now I'd say Myxo and Gloaming too because of what they've become live... But if Dollars eventually winds up with defeatist phrases sung through clenched teeth as the song peters out, SDSU's conclusion is the sound of full-on mania, an absolute tantrum... And seeing that conclusion live is one of my highlights out of the times I've seen them... Devastating... But, it's mostly devastating because of the sickening, slow-crawl of the upwards rollercoaster that precedes it...

7. Subterranean Homesick Alien... Same as the previous two, although obviously it's gotten more love than either simply by being on OKC... Nevertheless, it's probably also gotten the least love out of the downright historic stretch from tracks 1-6... You know, the one where Radiohead basically became bigger than themselves, more than just a great band...

8. Morning Bell... Maybe it's because the lyrics aren't necessarily thematically congruent with the rest of KidAmn, at least not overtly... Maybe it's because the Amnesiac version still turns so many people off... Maybe it's how abruptly it ends right after its climax... Maybe because it comes right after Idioteque, and right before the redeeming wash of MPS... Whatever it is, this brilliant song does not get its due often enough...

9. Down Is The New Up... The bridge between HTTT and IR, I think... I know a lot of folks think the recorded version doesn't measure up, but my only problem with it is it just fades out... A very unique song in their catalogue, and come to think of it really did not belong on IR... Or HTTT... It's its own animal...

10. Lotus Flower... If you saw this one live on the 1st leg, maybe it hit you the same way it hit me... "There's more to this song than I knew"... Enough to make me believe it oughtta rank amongst their definitive songs... By being on TKoL, it is by definition gonna always be underrated, a black sheep...

Guest_Wormme_*

Guest_Wormme_*
  • Guests
Kid A should be on everyone's NORMAL top 10, seriously dafuq?

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

dissolvable and tasteless

• Members
  • 14,203 posts

6. Sit Down Stand Up... Again, not completely overlooked, but in terms of HTTT squarely in the shadow of 2+2=5, ThereThere, AWATD, WIEAYB, and now I'd say Myxo and Gloaming too because of what they've become live... But if Dollars eventually winds up with defeatist phrases sung through clenched teeth as the song peters out, SDSU's conclusion is the sound of full-on mania, an absolute tantrum... And seeing that conclusion live is one of my highlights out of the times I've seen them... Devastating... But, it's mostly devastating because of the sickening, slow-crawl of the upwards rollercoaster that precedes it...

I hate the damn lazers in this song, but I agree that it has one of the best build-ups of any song I've ever heard.

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,376 posts

Kid A should be on everyone's NORMAL top 10, seriously dafuq?

I don't understand how anyone can have a normal top ten and an alternative top ten. The whole idea is total nonsense. I mean, if you think like that you're basically saying that the popularity of a song affects how much you like it.

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg