Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nigel Godrich's thread

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
As the "sixth" member of Radiohead (Clive is the 7th of course XD), outside of RH, what's in your opinion his best work?
I dont know much about engineering, mixing and producing and that stuff, but here's the wikipedia list of his work

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
saaaaad :(

well.. i like the Pocket symphony from Air..
at least one post on this thread XD

Swarley

Swarley

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationGermany
I like "The Information" by Beck.
The electronics and drums sound great and you can clearly hear Nigel's influence.

Maybe you're not that sad anymore :)

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
ha thanks Swarley
i'll check that album ;)

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
Yeah it's hard to say because I'm not familiar with half of those records. My answer to what is his best work is In Rainbows. But I like Beck's Sea Change and The Information, very different albums, Sea Change is mellow and sad and The Information is fun. I enjoyed his presence in the Atoms for Peace live show. The Eraser is great. I'm downloading Pavement's Terror Twilight now, I only know their earlier work. Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55 is very good but I haven't heard it in years. I remember I listened to the Gnarls Barkley album when it came out because of Nigel and I didn't really like it, not that I'm blaming Nigel for that.

And getting all the artists together to record From the Basement has been great. Other than RH, I really like PJ Harvey's session there. It's all songs from her album White Chalk. He's had Beck, Sonic Youth, Jose Gonzalez, Damien Rice, White Stripes in there. Many more, but those are the ones I've seen. It's awesome. I'm rewatching Sonic Youth From the Basement now.

It's difficult for me to comment on a producer/engineers work because I don't really understand it. I'm just listing albums and sessions I like. I love him so much because Thom trusts him with all of his work. They tried recording In Rainbows with another producer and that didn't work out. Nigel forced them to get to know each other as friends again before recording In Rainbows and that really made it possible for them to make such a beautiful record. So thank you Nigel for all you've done.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.

Yeah it's hard to say because I'm not familiar with half of those records. My answer to what is his best work is In Rainbows. But I like Beck's Sea Change, Sea Change is mellow.

It's difficult for me to comment on a producer/engineers work because I don't really understand it. I'm just listing albums and sessions I like. I love him so much because Thom trusts him with all of his work. They tried recording In Rainbows with another producer and that didn't work out. Nigel forced them to get to know each other as friends again before recording In Rainbows and that really made it possible for them to make such a beautiful record. So thank you Nigel for all you've done.

feel the same :)

i just dont want to imagine how IR would be if Nigel wouldnt be there for making such a masterpiece and beautifull album (and friend also, this record has been with me in so many things that any human couldnt had)

i think In Rainbows has a lot of the things that Nigel is known for, the layers, here -in my opinion- is where are more noted and evidencial... All I need, Reckoner and Weird Fishes are just amazing how they could finish them

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal

i think In Rainbows has a lot of the things that Nigel is known for, the layers, here -in my opinion- is where are more noted and evidencial... All I need, Reckoner and Weird Fishes are just amazing how they could finish them

It's just so hard to know what they each do separately because Ed and Thom and Jonny are well versed in the computer side of things, and Jonny does gorgeous string arrangements on his own. So who arranged and layered the strings in All I Need and Reckoner? I just don't know.

Yup, upon first listen, and compared to 2006 tour versions, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi was the most incredible in terms of production on In Rainbows.

I like to joke that Nigel is the reincarnation of George Martin, which is funny to me because Martin is still alive.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.

It's just so hard to know what they each do separately because Ed and Thom and Jonny are well versed in the computer side of things, and Jonny does gorgeous string arrangements on his own. So who arranged and layered the strings in All I Need and Reckoner? I just don't know.

Yup, upon first listen, and compared to 2006 tour versions, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi was the most incredible in terms of production on In Rainbows.

I like to joke that Nigel is the reincarnation of George Martin, which is funny to me because Martin is still alive.

i think both Jonny and Nigel made the arrangements
other question i have about the songs on IR is what is the instrument we can hear on HoC, I dont know if it is Jonny and his Martenot or Ed with an* awesome guitar effect?

and hahaha, i have felt the same about Nigel and George Martin... they both are awesome on their respective periods/eras

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal

what is the instrument we can hear on HoC, I dont know if it is Jonny and his Martenot or Ed with a awesome guitar effect?

Haha I love how other people have the same questions as me. If you mean the 'ping ping ping ping' noise after 'the infrastructure will collapse' that is Ed, which I learned from this video from Bonnaroo where they play it just like on In Rainbows: but Jonny is doing some cool atmospheric guitar stuff too so it's really both of them. There is no Ondes here. It's all guitars.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
haha.. yeah is awesome to realize of those things :P
i was trying to make a "research" of this, but than i read on wikipedia that usually they dont carry the ondes on tour for the expensive that the instrument really is so they play synths and that stuf when touring... but i think that with this video our question was answered :D
thanks

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
What? They don't tour with the Ondes? I find that almost impossible to believe. I guess they've gotten really good at replicating its sounds with synths and guitars.

i was trying to make a "research" of this, but than i read on wikipedia that usually they dont carry the ondes on tour for the expensive that the instrument really is so they play synths and that stuf when touring

What? They don't tour with the Ondes? I find that almost impossible to believe. I guess they've gotten really good at replicating its sounds with synths and guitars.

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
No I just found 2012 videos with Jonny playing the Ondes during The National Anthem. It's such a quintessentially Radiohead sound. Fast forward to 1:30:

And during this version of HTDC from last week the video opens with a shot of Thom but the video screen above clearly shows Jonny's hands on the Ondes.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.

Jonny Greenwood is often credited with bringing the ondes to a larger audience through Radiohead's Kid A (2000), Amnesiac (2001), Hail to the Thief (2003) In Rainbows (2007), and The King of Limbs (2011) albums. Greenwood uses the ondes Martenot often in his solo efforts, and has written a piece for the instrument, entitled Smear.[citation needed] In live concerts, Radiohead have used six ondes for "How to Disappear Completely".

idk from where i read that thing i said before :( but this is what now says about the ondes on wikipedia...

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
Maybe they decided not to take it on one of the earlier tours but I've seen them in 2003, 2006 and 2008 and I'm certain the instrument was at all of those concerts. What I suspect happened is someone mixed up the Ondes and the Rhodes piano. They decided not to take the Rhodes (which they use for Subterranean Homesick Alien) for the reasons you mentioned so they dropped that song from their setlist from 2003-2011 when it reappeared at Roseland and then again last night in Cincinnati. So they probably found one in New York just for those two shows in September, and last night's was imo a tribute to the Venus transit (a rare astronomical event that happened yesterday and was in progress while Radiohead were playing) since the song has spacey sounds and is about aliens.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.

and last night's was imo a tribute to the Venus transit (a rare astronomical event that happened yesterday and was in progress while Radiohead were playing) since the song has spacey sounds and is about aliens.

i didnt notice this "coincidence", so awesome, also SHA is one of the most best made tracks on OKC.. so this venus thing and SHA together is :D

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
I don't know for sure but I bet Thom was all over this. I'm convinced he, or someone in the band, was so excited for this event that they planned to have this piano long in advance to play SHA. I followed it closely last night. Here is an incredible photo of The Sun with Venus passing by taken last night from a NASA satellite. To me this is just amazing. http://farm9.staticf...06963fe61_z.jpg

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
haha i was watching it on TV :P i hadnt the special sunglasses or any microscope to see it directly :(

i love this weirdness Radiohead members (specially Thom) have!!

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
yeah, i know is not the same watching it for real than watching on TV hahaha... but that's better than nothing, right? XD

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
Yeah I kind of just assume that anything that Thomas Pynchon writes about is something that interests Thom. (TP has a novel about astronomers). w.a.s.t.e. is a Pynchon reference, as is 'baby alligators in the sewers' from Fog.

codexedoc

codexedoc

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMontreal
And I saw it with special solar glasses but only for a few minutes then the clouds ruined the visibility. But NASA had a brilliant webcast last night. I learned so much about the sun, and venus, and the history of human exploration.

Now we're really not talking about Nigel.