Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Radiohead next steps after the nightmare in Toronto

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

The Paperboy

The Paperboy

Gagging Order!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo
What they will do?

I mean this was scary; a nightmare. If the stage collapses during the soundcheck.... Oh my...
They must be in shock, losing a friend, and probably a lot of thei gear.

I've received this from a friend, a text regarding the next steps.

"Alright, now that all the dust has settled (no pun intended, that would be inconsiderate) on the issue of people being injured, or worse, lets get down to the nitty gritty of what the musicians are concerned about; what’s up for Radiohead’s tour, and what’s up with their equipment?
I’ve looked at some of the photographs of the stage prior to the collapse, and I can tell you that there is a lot gear that is going to be just destroyed. Apparently, and these are just rumors, the drums and keyboards are cooked, and I wouldn’t doubt that. The drums are located very centrally, underneath the lights certainly, and the keyboards are placed off stage to the stage right rear of the kits, and those are probably gone too. That means goodbye to Colin’s bass equipment, both sets of drums, and almost certainly the Rhodes. I hope the data on the SPD-S’s is salvageable, because that would be a pain in the ass to have to replace.

The amps are probably also cooked, at least Thom’s for sure. Jonny’s may - may - be ok, depending on their general location regarding the lighting over them. For Detroit, the lights were placed further to the left of where he was standing. Ed’s gear is a shit shoot, just because he can realistically place his things anywhere he wants on that stage and not be that effected. He was tall enough to touch the lighting panels during one of the songs, which means that it could go either way. His pedals may or may not be crushed though, which would suck because that Klon and Timeline are going to be hard to replace in this market, and the presets are going to be impossible, unless he saved them to something like a flashcard or something similar. Honestly, I’m not even sure the Timeline has that capability, but for his sake, I hope it does.
I think most people who are concerned about the gear, are mostly concerned with Jonny’s Telecaster Plus, which he’s had since he had his prior model, an original 90’s era guitar, stolen in the earlier 90’s. Fuck that guitar. That can be redone very, very easily. I can tell you this, because I essentially hot rodded my own Strat into something like it with no difficulty whatsoever. Kill switch included. What I’m concerned about is the Starcaster. The hollow body that Jonny uses on Pyramid Song, and several others, is a very, very delicate piece of equipment, and they are rare as hen’s teeth. There are a few in Chicago right now, housed at the Chicago Music Exchange, but there’s something very intimate about hollow bodied guitars that you just can’t replace sometimes. I have a ‘58 Kay Jazz II that, for all the trouble its given me, I couldn’t physically replace because you just understand all the nooks and crannies about the instrument.

As far as touring goes in the near future, I can’t say much. They’re a very productive bunch of gentleman, who I wouldn’t be surprised to see crying their eyes out over a bottle of wine in the hotel, or, alternatively, flying home to see their families with no regard for the issues of the rest of the tour. If we really sit back and think for a minute, they almost died. Really, very seriously, they all almost lost their lives over the sale of a few beers (running of RadioheadOfficial’s information earlier today about why the stage set-up was rushed). If it were me, I’d be at home with my head in the lap of my wife having her tell me that everything will be ok… I do hope they continue this tour, but really guys, don’t be surprised if they call off much of this coming leg, or the whole tour entirely. Radiohead have hearts, and they’re not going to take the death of a construction member lightly. My heart goes out to them, and the families of those who were injured and killed this evening. I really do hope that this all gets sorted out… "

Source: http://fleabitten-mo...radioheads-gear

Posted Image

I really don't know what they'l do after that.

All the gear was on stage and probably at least 60% of their gear is wrecked.

I hope they can handle that with patience.

I'm praying to all of them: band, crew and Scott's family.

shep proudfoot

shep proudfoot

i'm fucking overwhelmed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,551 posts
yes let's pray to radiohead.

tumblr_lr8kq5FzIX1ql34a1o6_250.gif

please wear this medallion

smwatson

smwatson

duke of llama.

• Members
  • 15,160 posts
  • LocationLondon
i already pray to radiohead
Posted Image

shep proudfoot

shep proudfoot

i'm fucking overwhelmed!

• Members
  • 50,551 posts
Radiohead next 15 steps after the nightmare in Toronto

ahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

!

biggie p

biggie p

uh huh huh

• Members
  • 25,642 posts

Radiohead next 15 steps after the nightmare in Toronto

ahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

!

you're gonna feel really bad about that if thom ends up walking off a sheer drop

shep proudfoot

shep proudfoot

i'm fucking overwhelmed!

• Members
  • 50,551 posts
nah i wouldnt

biggie p

biggie p

uh huh huh

• Members
  • 25,642 posts
you heartless bastard

shep proudfoot

shep proudfoot

i'm fucking overwhelmed!

• Members
  • 50,551 posts
fuck 'em!

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
Maybe they'll postpone the next leg of the tour until they give Toronto a nice show

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

gentil géant

gentil géant

pas un meurtre en passant

• Members
  • 6,798 posts
20 yrs of heavy touring and horrible things like this are bound to happen, sad to hear that this could hav been avoided though

someone make a video of this event with the music of skirting on the surface in the background, the piano one

lotsa colin expressions

so i can prperly cry

damnn

Posted Image

danseurs témoins, dans la vie, il faut d'abord durer

sinister funkhouse

sinister funkhouse

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Maybe they'll postpone the next leg of the tour until they give Toronto a nice show

i hope so. i can't see them being done with toronto, but it'll be really hard on them. if they did, the mood would definitely be sombre. i just hope they're not feeling guilty. the whole "somebody gave their lives because of our stupid little insignificant show" thing.

there's rumours of a new york show in december, so maybe they'll stop here then?

q: hey guys, what do you call somebody else's cheese?

a: NACHO CHEESE!

----

q: what do you call an empty jar of cheese whiz?

a: cheese WAS!!!

mugsy

mugsy

The Concept - TFC

• Members
  • 1,850 posts
I'd say they'll scale back their gear with the Europe leg, if they can manage it. They still have the funeral for Scott and lots of other issues to deal with in meetings and so forth.

Its the toughest time for the band in their career and it is in no way their fault either.

Its not the same but i don't know about everyone here but i've had one big malfunction at a job in the past, it wasn't directly my fault but i was involved in the catastrophe, this was to do with a huge project that went wrong. For that week I felt burning stress and regret but you get through it and things always improve with time.

Thoughts are with Team Radiohead.
1502107.gif

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
The damage has been done. Now we play the waiting game to see what the band does next. Hopefully they speak up in the next few days. They've got unfinished business and lots of uncertainty to address.

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire/New York

you heartless bastard

not commenting on your disagreement with Torres' comment but having that sean connery pic made me say your post in a sean connery voice. it made my day

total waste of time... :smoke_coo 

we all die anyways...why not just enjoy the way out

jediStick

jediStick

Daddy Cool

• Members
  • 13,936 posts
you'd think they would have cancelled it today if they were going to since it's coming up so soon. i think they'll continue the tour.

is the Ondes particularly rare? can't even tell from the picture if it's actually destroyed or what.

Xenodude

Xenodude

Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
What's with the fixation on the damn gear I keep reading here. And I might be responding to all the various different threads, not just this one, but...

Let's forget that it's entirely trivial given the gravity of events. Even if no one died, how could losing amps and guitars put a tour to a screeching halt?

This stuff is so cheap compared to the money these bands bring in. It's like saying you can't go to class for the rest of the semester because you lost your notebooks and pencils.

Many bands purposefully break equipment after several shows for spectacle (my brother once saw Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails break a keyboard with a guitar--ruining both--mid show. Both were replaced for the next song).

I don't know. I couldn't not rant about this. If you're going to competely trivialize a man's death, at least do it for something worth worrying about.

sinister funkhouse

sinister funkhouse

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

What's with the fixation on the damn gear I keep reading here. And I might be responding to all the various different threads, not just this one, but...

Let's forget that it's entirely trivial given the gravity of events. Even if no one died, how could losing amps and guitars put a tour to a screeching halt?

This stuff is so cheap compared to the money these bands bring in. It's like saying you can't go to class for the rest of the semester because you lost your notebooks and pencils.

Many bands purposefully break equipment after several shows for spectacle (my brother once saw Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails break a keyboard with a guitar--ruining both--mid show. Both were replaced for the next song).

I don't know. I couldn't not rant about this. If you're going to competely trivialize a man's death, at least do it for something worth worrying about.

a lot of the gear was one of a kind. from kid a. completely modified for them and them only. so even if the gear was the only thing destroyed, i can see a delay or cancellation due to that, let alone the loss of life.

q: hey guys, what do you call somebody else's cheese?

a: NACHO CHEESE!

----

q: what do you call an empty jar of cheese whiz?

a: cheese WAS!!!

babydoctor

babydoctor

dragon wizard dracogenius

• Members
  • 15,699 posts
more the one of a kind stuff, like they had a few vintage synths, and supposedly some old OOP effects pedals, etc. the drums and shit will be easy to replace but there are some things that you aren't exactly gonna find in guitar center.

Xenodude

Xenodude

Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
Ok. True and fair enough.

I assume most songs could be played with an acceptable degree of integrity with common replacements and instruments to emulate the more rare ones.

But yeah, valid point.

Treehut

Treehut

----

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
I think they need to get a new stage altogether because that is just a failure.