Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Radiohead next steps after the nightmare in Toronto

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
While you're right that NA got a lot more dates than Europe will get, Europe IS more densely populated and travel is far less a problem. for me at least, despite being in the US, my nearest choice other than Toronto was 300ish miles away. I'm sure there are Europeans in a similar situation, but what about a Radiohead fan living out in the Dakotas? Point is, population in the US is proportionally scattered and the tour dates reflected that appropriately.

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,170 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I'm sure there are Europeans in a similar situation, but what about a Radiohead fan living out in the Dakotas? Point is, population in the US is proportionally scattered and the tour dates reflected that appropriately.

I always felt sorry for people living in the Dakotas, Idaho, Montana, etc. Unless you're a country music fan, you're probably not going to get too many good concerts.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire/New York

While you're right that NA got a lot more dates than Europe will get, Europe IS more densely populated and travel is far less a problem. for me at least, despite being in the US, my nearest choice other than Toronto was 300ish miles away. I'm sure there are Europeans in a similar situation, but what about a Radiohead fan living out in the Dakotas? Point is, population in the US is proportionally scattered and the tour dates reflected that appropriately.

i always wonder why they don't book something in the middle of 'the middle of nowheresville'. At this point in there career, the guys could book a show in Nunavat, Canada and it would sell out in minutes

total waste of time... :smoke_coo 

we all die anyways...why not just enjoy the way out

Muggs

Muggs

*blink*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationAustralia

i always wonder why they don't book something in the middle of 'the middle of nowheresville'. At this point in there career, the guys could book a show in Nunavat, Canada and it would sell out in minutes

This is why. The cost of tickets would go up and the enviromental damage is much higher then playing in major cities where fans are able to use public transport to get to the gig. You can download the full report here if your curious.

It's also the reason why Australia missed out on the entire In Rainbows tours, if you wanted to see them from 2005-2011 you had to fly over 4,000 miles!

Anyway todays news from DAS (in case anyone's missed it)

European Shows

Hello everyone,

As you will probably have heard the roof over the stage collapsed at our show in Toronto killing crew member Scott Johnson and injuring three other crew members. The collapse also destroyed the light show – this show was unique and will take many weeks to replace. The collapse also caused serious damage to our backline, some elements of which are decades old and therefore hard to replace.

Whilst we all are dealing with the grief and shock ensuing from this terrible accident there are also many practical considerations to deal with & consequently we have to try and reschedule the following shows:

June
30 Roma Hippodrome Capanelle

July
1 Firenze Parco delle Cascine
3 Bologna Arena Parco Nord
4 Codroipo Villa Manin
6 Berlin Wuhlheide
7 Berlin Wuhlheide
9 St Triphon Carriere des Andonces

We aim to announce the new dates for these shows on Wednesday 27th of June and will also supply information on how to obtain refunds on tickets if you cannot come to the show on the new date.

We will start playing live again at Les Arenes Nimes, Bilbao BBK festival and Lisbon Optimus Alive festival.

We will make every effort to offer the fans the very best show possible under the circumstances – thanks for your understanding and support.

「今晩は。お元気ですか?少々お時間を頂けますか?ダンスをしようとしている変な男がいるんです」
'Good evening, How are you? Could you wait for a minutes? Here is a strange man dancing from now.'

w w w .E r s M e e n o . c o m

sleepy jack

sleepy jack

cracked polystyrene

• Members
  • 12,356 posts
  • Locationlast exit

I always felt sorry for people living in the Dakotas, Idaho, Montana, etc. Unless you're a country music fan, you're probably not going to get too many good concerts.

4 red states. fuck 'em.

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,170 posts
  • LocationTennessee
that would really suck though, I mean I live in a red state as well but at least I'm within a 4 hour drive of several bigger cites that do get good concerts.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

pattersonk092

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire/New York

This is why. The cost of tickets would go up and the enviromental damage is much higher then playing in major cities where fans are able to use public transport to get to the gig. You can download the full report here if your curious.

It's also the reason why Australia missed out on the entire In Rainbows tours, if you wanted to see them from 2005-2011 you had to fly over 4,000 miles!

oh cool, thanks for the info

total waste of time... :smoke_coo 

we all die anyways...why not just enjoy the way out

sleepy jack

sleepy jack

cracked polystyrene

• Members
  • 12,356 posts
  • Locationlast exit

that would really suck though, I mean I live in a red state as well but at least I'm within a 4 hour drive of several bigger cites that do get good concerts.

Tennessee gets a pass for having so many cool people and 2 cool cities and we're still working on you guys.
we took NC we'll get you guys too!

Kid Zed

Kid Zed

not feeling clever or witty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationVenice, CA

My Australian friend Anne flies to London and the US several times a year for concerts. The bands she likes don't generally tour Australia, she got sick of waiting for the mountain to come from her and went to the mountain.

She's not wealthy, but she does have some free cash. Concert travel doesn't have to be expensive, and you have a global resource RIGHT HERE to hook up with friends around the world. It's so not insurmountable, but people have a resistance to flying for shows. For her, the shows are the trip, usually for me, the show is the icing on the cake for a great trip. We met in the UK for four Porcupine Tree shows in 2009, and had a blast for not much more money than it would have cost me to go to Vegas for a weekend.

We were supposed to meet in Sydney for Radiohead, but ironically she's going to be here in Los Angeles for Rush that week. So I'll be doing the Sydney show with local friends, and hopefully making some new local friends as well. I'm doing the trip on frequent flyer miles, and the Sydney portion will be staying with friends, again, not real costly if you work it.

If you love a band, hook up online, see some shows and some new places. I think there are people here sufficiently obsessed to do some international travel if tickets can be had. You just have to get over seeing traveling out of your comfort zone a bit. If I can fly for 15 hours....

My biggest obstacle at this point is getting tickets in Melbourne. The travel is cheap, it's the freaking SCALPERS!!!

I'm so lucky to have seen two shows in California, but as soon as tickets went on sale in OZ, I knew I had to get going. So I don't feel sorry for people in the Dakotas or northern Idaho, even with moderate means. If they like a band, there are planes and wanderlust.
The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.

then youre wrong

then youre wrong

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
If the Ondes Martenot got destroyed I will cry

'Remember, 99% of everything anyone tells you is a lie.
Don't let the demons get you.
They got me.
'

-Chieftan Mews

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The truth will mess you up.