Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of the Radiohead tour??

Will the show go on?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

FFjal

FFjal

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Aaah... Im not so sure now man. My main worry is regarding all their equipment. 2 weeks till Italian dates, and there's no telling when they'll even find out the extent of the damage to their stuff buried under the scaffolding in Canada, never mind recover it.
Trying to stay optimistic too, but expecting bad news.
Where are/were you seeing them? We were/are Villa Manin on July 4th.

Well they're professionals, they sure must have backups of their equipment. Though I might be wrong...
And I'm seeing them in Villa Manin too!

Can Stylee

Can Stylee

Prendi l'acqua quando piove.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationItaly

Well they're professionals, they sure must have backups of their equipment. Though I might be wrong...
And I'm seeing them in Villa Manin too!

I think we're going to have more people from other countries than italians on that date. The gig location is so beautiful.

(the ability to laugh at weakness)

Pickled Dog

Pickled Dog

picture wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,866 posts
  • LocationHull
I keep saying this. Makes me think we should probably just have the one thread for all this tour discussion, but anyway...

People don't need to worry about the future of the tour.

My friend of mine photographed the band a bunch of times and is close friends with all of Caribou. Did the record cover for Swim. (So credible information I think).
When I asked him to pass on my regards he replied:

Yup, the Toronto thing has really dampened spirits, but they're going to carry on.
Not easy when your equipment is under a crime scene.

mjlc.co.uk

8683997186_b2633a5a6c_o.jpg

Electric Candyman

Electric Candyman

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
Nobody knows exactly why the stage collapsed. We only know that they were rushing. For as far as we know this could have happened to the IR lightning. After all this time creating the panels and such, they'll keep using them.

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

dancing for your pleasure

• Members
  • 10,428 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Makes me think we should probably just have the one thread for all this tour discussion, but anyway...

seconding this.

FFjal

FFjal

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCroatia

I think we're going to have more people from other countries than italians on that date. The gig location is so beautiful.

It really looks beautiful on the pictures. Have you been there before? :)

mitisz

mitisz

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHungary

It really looks beautiful on the pictures. Have you been there before? :)

My girlfriend and myself are going to Villa Manin too.. we are expecting on of the best days of our life.. we are travelling from far away (Hungary), so we really hope that it won't get cancelled (seeing that it is an outdoor concert makes us nervous and worried about this :icon_roll ).

norabarnacle

norabarnacle

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago
Of course they'll have back ups of all the data, etc. A lot of gear/equipment they do have duplicates of as we know. To say that they have separate gear for each country based on it's plugs (as someone did in the other thread) is silly. They use adapters and converters. They don't buy different gear in each country to be used in that country. That would be a monumental waste of money, and ridiculous. It may make a rather amusing bit in a comedy about touring musicians, though.

Regarding this horrible loss- I can't speak for anyone, I don't pretend to know them or what they're thinking. I do know this, though. As much as you don't want to and as difficult as it may be, you have to press on. If they keep the gig in Italy, it doesn't mean that they're disrespecting Scott's memory in any way, it means that they're adults and they're keeping their responsibilities, going through the grieving process, picking and and trying to start anew.
It's what you have to do...it's the example you have to set for your children and those around you.
When my fiancé died 2 years ago, I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Literally. I would go to sleep each night and wish I didn't wake the next morning. But I did. I'm here, 2 years later. Things are okay, I've found a news semblance of existence....and that's just how it is.
Yes, it's horrible horrible horrible that this has happened, but the implication that they have to cancel the tour because of it says that when bad things happen you should give up and let them beat you.
I'm sure that, when they're ready, they'll get together to figure out if the right time for them to perform is Italy in 2 weeks time....or Zimbabwe in 15 years. Regardless, it can't be forced, it can't be rushed, and it most certainly cannot be decided by anyone but those DIRECTLY involved.

~stine
@norabarnacle

mitisz

mitisz

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHungary

Of course they'll have back ups of all the data, etc. A lot of gear/equipment they do have duplicates of as we know. To say that they have separate gear for each country based on it's plugs (as someone did in the other thread) is silly. They use adapters and converters. They don't buy different gear in each country to be used in that country. That would be a monumental waste of money, and ridiculous. It may make a rather amusing bit in a comedy about touring musicians, though.

Regarding this horrible loss- I can't speak for anyone, I don't pretend to know them or what they're thinking. I do know this, though. As much as you don't want to and as difficult as it may be, you have to press on. If they keep the gig in Italy, it doesn't mean that they're disrespecting Scott's memory in any way, it means that they're adults and they're keeping their responsibilities, going through the grieving process, picking and and trying to start anew.
It's what you have to do...it's the example you have to set for your children and those around you.
When my fiancé died 2 years ago, I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Literally. I would go to sleep each night and wish I didn't wake the next morning. But I did. I'm here, 2 years later. Things are okay, I've found a news semblance of existence....and that's just how it is.
Yes, it's horrible horrible horrible that this has happened, but the implication that they have to cancel the tour because of it says that when bad things happen you should give up and let them beat you.
I'm sure that, when they're ready, they'll get together to figure out if the right time for them to perform is Italy in 2 weeks time....or Zimbabwe in 15 years. Regardless, it can't be forced, it can't be rushed, and it most certainly cannot be decided by anyone but those DIRECTLY involved.

~stine
@norabarnacle

I agree with everything that you've said!
I think cancelling the tour would send a wrong message..
We just have to wait and see how they decide.. whatever their decision is, I'm sure they'll do what they feel is the right thing to do.

# & Location

# & Location

Instant Karma Police

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
To say that they have separate gear for each country based on it's plugs (as someone did in the other thread) is silly.

Yes it is silly. But there are numerous reports that they copied their gear for North American shows. You say it would be expensive "monumental waste of money" however the logistics of having one set of gear and shipping it around the world be it by plane or ocean not only would work its way up to an astounding amount of money in itself but would be just as silly if a group of peoples soul income was playing music and had no sort of back up in place should their equipment be lost, broken, stolen, held up in customs, lost at sea, burned in a car crash and so on. The gear in Toronto is not their only set of gear.
1. You are not your thoughts. You are the awareness behind the thoughts. Thoughts are often negative and painful, yearning for or fearing something in the future, complaining about something in the present or fearing a matter from the past. However, the thoughts are not you; they are a construct of the ego. Awareness of your thoughts without being caught up in them is the first step to freedom.

norabarnacle

norabarnacle

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago
I realize that they have duplicates/spares/backups of a lot of gear. I said that if you read my prior post. I actually said the exact same thing that you did....that the gear in Toronto wasn't the only gear and that the data was backed up....sorry if that wasn't clear?
I said it would be a monumental waste of money for them to have separate gear for every single country, which they don't, because no one would do that. It would be beyond stupid. I work with musicians every day and I know, no one would do that. Ever. Even the really odd ones. :)

~stine
@norabarnacle

nordheim

nordheim

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationatx/lax/lon/dtw

I realize that they have duplicates/spares/backups of a lot of gear. I said that if you read my prior post. I actually said the exact same thing that you did....that the gear in Toronto wasn't the only gear and that the data was backed up....sorry if that wasn't clear?
I said it would be a monumental waste of money for them to have separate gear for every single country, which they don't, because no one would do that. It would be beyond stupid. I work with musicians every day and I know, no one would do that. Ever. Even the really odd ones. :o)

~stine
@norabarnacle

none of their synths, guitars, pedal boards are duplicates from what i have seen.
they are the same ones from show to show, regardless of continent. sound equipment, pa's, leads, lights.... those are probably duplicates, which honestly are the things that would take up the most room to ship around. anyway, the semantics aside, they have the funds to replaces even the most rare things they play with. christ, were talking about a guy who went to a synth manufacturer with an idea and poof! they made the french connection in bulk. also, they play very nice things, which should be an indicator to their willingness to purchase high end equipment. vintage teles's, jazzmasters', starcasters... all things easy to come by for a group of people who make 30k a show on t-shirts. :) dont worry about replacements or gear. worry about state of mind. same goes for attitude. it stinks that it had to happen to some of the most interesting artists around, who also all seem to be such great, caring humans.
anyway, just my little bit about that.

also, a total sidenote.... if you are interested in guitars and gear in general, this is a place where i have bought a few things. nice "eyecandy" to take your mind off of their current issues. lets all keep our heads up. :)
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

rose

rose

I wanna make a supersonic woman of you!

• Members
  • 12,346 posts
I'm sure if a mod was paying attention they'd merge them

i5m1_zps4ef73f6c.jpg

Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Hey, will hopefully be seeing you guys in Villa Manin too, going to that and the Florence show on 1st (if they manage to go on, that is).

# & Location

# & Location

Instant Karma Police

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
I said it would be a monumental waste of money for them to have separate gear for every single country, which they don't, because no one would do that. It would be beyond stupid.

Sorry for missing your previous post, I started skimming when a lot of the conversation was repeating the Toronto show thread. I'm just recalling an article I read that they had duplicated their tour gear to leave in storage in North America. Would it cost a lot of money? Yes. Separate gear for each country? Doubt it. But I believe that their carbon footprint was heavy on their minds at the time and although it would be possibly financially ridiculous, ecologically maybe not. I'll see if I can find the article. I found one talking about slow boating their gear over seas, which if they did to get it back to Europe would talk longer than two weeks I believe.
Any how I think I started talking about this to assuage the fears of those who are waiting to see them play.
1. You are not your thoughts. You are the awareness behind the thoughts. Thoughts are often negative and painful, yearning for or fearing something in the future, complaining about something in the present or fearing a matter from the past. However, the thoughts are not you; they are a construct of the ego. Awareness of your thoughts without being caught up in them is the first step to freedom.

mitisz

mitisz

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHungary

The band is considering to stop the tour after the death of a roadie of the stage in Toronto, following the collapse of the stage. The Italian management team: "The band is considering what to do. Until further notice, all confirmed".

The Radiohead concert, scheduled for 1 July, could slip to September due to the collapse of the stage last Saturday in Toronto, has caused the death of Scott Johnson.

" that type of loss is equivalent to a rock band to the disappearance of a band member, and there would be no wonder if this happened, "adds Leonardo Giacomelli Le Nozze di Figaro, which organizes the big concert at Cascine" but for us also, "as for today, the concert is confirmed". "For now, therefore, it is only a hypothesis: in the coming hours we will know something more.

info from atease (translated from an italian article)

norabarnacle

norabarnacle

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago
Aww, that's so awful. It's all so awful. As I said before, they'll start up again when they feel it's right for them-be that in two weeks or a longer period of time.
Peace to all involved. :(

~stine
@norabarnacle

Allenkerky

Allenkerky

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

you're right, they'll probably cancel the tour and break up.

:10: 4 sure :10:

FFjal

FFjal

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCroatia

info from atease (translated from an italian article)

What about other shows in Italy/Europe?

Ahh I'll just wait until we get an official word about it. :)

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • 3,316 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
The band should give everyone a heads up by the end of the week. I think I speak for all us Toronto fans when I say we could use some closure to the situation.

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed: