Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What (parts of) RH albums have flawed structure rather than flawed songs?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Green&Lonely

Green&Lonely

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I'll go first and show what I mean.

For example, I think Pablo Honey is the worst RH album, but for entirely different reasons -- I can't think of any way to improve the flow of the album, which I think is perfectly fine. I just find most of the songs cheesy.

HTTT is a much better album, with some of RH's best moments, but I think it jumps too much for its own good, with its rock song -> electronica -> piano ballad -> electronica -> rock song like structure. It feels like an album that tries to be varied in a slightly forced way, and I'd like a more natural progression from start to end. This would probably involve losing a few tracks, which I'd be perfectly okay with.

TKOL has pretty damn strong song selection, and they are structured beautifully. Wouldn't change a thing, though it's definately short as a whole.

Kid A is one of those albums where the songflow is so awesome it arguably contributes more to the album experience than the individual songs themselves. The best flowing RH album IMO.

Amnesiac has a more contrasty and experimental flow than Kid A, that still works well and feels whole. But I always thought Morning Bell/Amnesac is sandwiched in a wierd spot, and I tend to skip it.

I have only one problem with In Rainbows: It's too mellow in the middle between Wierd Fishes and Jigsaw, and could use one more upbeat song thrown in. Of course, all the material on this album is absolutely stellar in its own right.

OKC is perfect for me until the very end; I think Lucky and The Tourist are somewhat similiar and drags the album's energy too much down before it ends. Yes, I am probably alone in thinking this, and no, I have no idea how to fix that, except removing The Tourist, which is actually not a bad choice since Lucky is a better song anyway and the album is somewhat long.

Peckerhead

Peckerhead

hahahaHAha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

OKC is perfect for me until the very end; I think Lucky and The Tourist are somewhat similiar and drags the album's energy too much down before it ends. Yes, I am probably alone in thinking this, and no, I have no idea how to fix that, except removing The Tourist, which is actually not a bad choice since Lucky is a better song anyway and the album is somewhat long.

Well for starters, The Tourist is an epic ending to the album. Lucky would be a drag ending. I've always thought that Lucky brings the album full circle and The Tourist wraps it up. Perfection.

This thread sux.

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.

I have only one problem with In Rainbows: It's too mellow in the middle between Wierd Fishes and Jigsaw, and could use one more upbeat song thrown in. Of course, all the material on this album is absolutely stellar in its own right.

What??? All I Need and Reckoner are the centerpieces in the sence that both have greaaat climaxes! Reckoner is the highlight obvioulsy and it doesnt feel mellow at all, why do you want a upbeat song if you have all those beautiful and stellar arrangements? (including Faust Arp)

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,324 posts

TKOL has pretty damn strong song selection, and they are structured beautifully. Wouldn't change a thing, though it's definately short as a whole.

lolwut?

TKOL is one of the worst RH albums both in terms of songs and its structure as an album, although I do quite like the tension/release thing they did.

Fitter Happier is the worst thing Radiohead have ever done to an album, completely kills the flow of OKC for me. I also agree that Lucky->The Tourist is a pretty limp ending for the album.

Kid A and In Rainbows are more or less perfect structurally, although I would have liked the first few seconds of IR to sound different.

HTTT is a mess but that's kind of the point isn't it?

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg

Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien

Subterranean Homesick Alien

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

lolwut?

TKOL is one of the worst RH albums both in terms of songs and its structure as an album, although I do quite like the tension/release thing they did.

Fitter Happier is the worst thing Radiohead have ever done to an album, completely kills the flow of OKC for me. I also agree that Lucky->The Tourist is a pretty limp ending for the album.

no and fuck you

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I love Fitter Happier, and I think it completely works on the album.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

tonymatt13

tonymatt13

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNYC
i was listening to fitter happier today and was thinking it would be a good opener to the album, then right into airbag

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
TKOL obviously. Really poor choice to have half the album be woodsy percussion and the other half slow ballads. (this could've been fixed if they put staircase after codex)

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

Orbiting Children

Orbiting Children

10 mile stereo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationMéxico.
I always put Staircase after LBL.. seems weird been after Codex

StreetSpirit

StreetSpirit

Stop grinning at everyone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
I kind of agree with most of what the OP said, specially about HTTT, In Rainbows and OKC.

Last month, my band did a tribute concert playing the whole of OKC. The crowd was loving it until No Surprises, but we felt the mood kind of died down during Lucky and The Tourist.

About HTTT, Thom and Ed have said that it should have been better edited. If they meant that the album should've had less songs, I would agree, but still it is my 2nd favorite album because the songs are beyond amazing (IR is first).
your services
are not required
your future's bleak
you're so last week

nudist

nudist

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

(shitty opinions)

get out of this place

eyereen

eyereen

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,620 posts

lolwut indeed, Mr. James.

Spoiler

Ed O'Beard

Ed O'Beard

Vegetable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
you're obviously skipping the bends because it is almost kida-esque perfect in structure minus the lull of bulletproof :yeah:

Posted Image

IN PORTRAIT

IN PORTRAIT

*Aisfle*

• Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationArgentina
you all suck.... that's my opinion

www.soundcloud.com/in-portrait

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,324 posts
Sorry guys what I meant to say was that all Radiohead albums are flawless and I don't even know why this thread was started because obviously they're the best band in the world and all of their albums are the best album in the world.

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg

-Pignoah-

-Pignoah-

Doctor Worm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,721 posts

lolwut?

Kid A and In Rainbows are more or less perfect structurally, although I would have liked the first few seconds of IR to sound different.

HTTT is a mess but that's kind of the point isn't it?

thomas you fanny

im gunna fight you

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
I actually agree with everything Thomas James said, minus the thing about IR. Fitter Happier was cool the first time, but it really kills the awesome streak the album had going up through Karma Police.

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

norabarnacle

norabarnacle

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago
I don't think the arrangement of 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' on Kid A works. That bit that I always describe as sounding like "glitter" seems to have noises thrown in simply because the album is full of noises. I also don't really feel as though its addition adds anything of note to the record as a whole. I think they ruined that song, and the acoustic demo is a gajillion times better. And it has the "beautiful angel...." verse *sigh*

Orpheus

Orpheus

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I don't think the arrangement of 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' on Kid A works. That bit that I always describe as sounding like "glitter" seems to have noises thrown in simply because the album is full of noises. I also don't really feel as though its addition adds anything of note to the record as a whole. I think they ruined that song, and the acoustic demo is a gajillion times better. And it has the "beautiful angel...." verse *sigh*

'an album full of noises'..

anyway, basically you're wrong. it's probably the most beautiful, perfect album closer of all time. if you honestly can't see what those 'noises' are adding to the song conceptually then you're completely missing one of the fundamentals of Kid A as an album and sequence.
Posted Image

You've got some nerve.

soundcloud.com/voyeurs

Green&Lonely

Green&Lonely

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

you're obviously skipping the bends because it is almost kida-esque perfect in structure minus the lull of bulletproof :yeah:

Yeah, I had no idea what to say about The Bends. Hey, it's a nice album!