Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is there something in which the music is arranged at the end of Let Down which...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

shitbreak

shitbreak

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Induces these feeling of absolute sentimentality and love for the sounds that we are hearing? It is incredible. I enjoy almost all types of music and I'm telling you, this song is the only one which can continue to bring on these feeling on every play?

Thing is... was this deliberate? If so, Radiohead are even better at what they do than they are given credit for as the way I feel when I listen to Let Down is the reason I listen to music

Buck

Buck

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I understand that feeling, and know where you're coming from. but for me, it's one of the only Radiohead songs I can't actually get into... it's not a bad song, it just comes across as a little bit cheesy to me.

Natamity

Natamity

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I agree! However it has only recently had this affect on me, like I wasn't listening to it the right way before. It has now become one of my favourites for the fact that I basically wet my pants every time I hear it now ;}
For the ultimate experience of it, try watching for the first 4 videos on this playlist in sequence as a build up to it. Amazing how it affects me:
http://www.youtube.c...nm&feature=plcp

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

dancing for your pleasure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts
  • LocationTennessee
that's really cool, and I noticed you put Separator from Atlanta on there too, yay!

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

like I wasn't listening to it the right way before. 

Most certainly have to listen to this song anally, I agree Natamity.

"Humor is an almost physiological response to fear."

CloudCuckooMan

CloudCuckooMan

ass full of feathers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

i think its the case for a lot of people, including me, that Let Down doesn't "click" with you for a long time and then one day you hear it and its almost like a completely different song. I didn't like it until about 6 years after I heard it for the first time

Biosphingernails

Biosphingernails

Amnesiac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

I think the end is about the computer trying to mimic the interplay of the guitars but it can only spurt out random notes in the scale because to the computer all the notes have an equal emotional worth of nothing. the emptiest of feelings

Posted Image

norabarnacle

norabarnacle

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationChicago

I have always thought, and still maintain, that Let Down is the most perfect song ever recorded by anyone in the history of music. Or ears. Or sound.

Natamity

Natamity

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

one day you hear it and its almost like a completely different song. I didn't like it until about 6 years after I heard it for the first time

It's true, it took about 11 years to reach me. I think this happens with quite a few of Radiohead's songs.

that's really cool, and I noticed you put Separator from Atlanta on there too, yay!

Yep, that video doesn't have the best sound, but the uber close-ups of the performance have to be seen.

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

dancing for your pleasure

• Members
  • 10,408 posts
  • LocationTennessee

yeah whoever filmed that did an amazing job, and I don't think they were that far from where I was standing.

UnicornRobotAttack

UnicornRobotAttack

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationPortland, ME

I have always thought, and still maintain, that Let Down is the most perfect song ever recorded by anyone in the history of music. Or ears. Or sound.

Agreed.  Love Let Down.

mnkcarp

mnkcarp

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationSconnie

My son and I have a joke that we say when we hear just about any Radiohead song.  We say, "This is one of my favorites."  Then we giggle, because we know how many times we've already said it. 

But this song is my first favorite Radiohead song. 

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." ~Woody Allen

Get Off My Case

Get Off My Case

Everything Is Good Here, Please Come Home

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of a snow covered street
It is also my first "favorite radiohead song"

Its Collin, motherfucker

QctpAwT.jpg

dwightbam

dwightbam

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

i agree. first favourite song for me too

Zazu

Zazu

The Tourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

One of my favourite tracks from OK Computer

Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas

just a drummer

• Members
  • 6,766 posts
Absolutely terrible

lgon

lgon

Alone on an Aeroplane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Personally, I love the song, but I can see how people may not like it. The metaphors are generally pretty cliche in this song, but cliche doesn't have to mean bad. I think for the most part people have that feeling of "one day I am going to grow wings," especially when they are young. As generic as that is, it is a very strong sentiment that many people have. On the other hand you might have those listeners who need to have "uniqueness" in their music, so they can't get over that fact. 

On the music side of things, I think the part that gets me most is how the bridge starts at 2:30, then the semi-brooding bass comes in at 2:46. It almost kinda forces you down, but Colin gives you that little fill at 3:01 that brings comfort, with Thom reinforcing "...let down..." Then the almost tribal drums kick in at 3:27 that prepare you for the soaring harmonies of Thom and Thom2. It's when one of the Thoms sings that A note while singing "aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" that there is a great emotional resolution.

All of this combined with you just listening to an emotionally draining Exit Music makes this song all the more powerful.

-Pignoah-

-Pignoah-

Doctor Worm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,812 posts

Absolutely terrible

Diiiie

office chart

office chart

Trickster

• Members
  • 9,283 posts
so much love for this song idk how many times have i cried to it its helpless and uplifting at the same time fuck okc is amazing ;_;

c2b52a7b-8665-4507-a247-e9006667a4c5_zps

Naomi HAT!?

Naomi HAT!?

Sonic is SONIC!

• Members
  • 20,623 posts
OKC's okaaaay

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg