Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why is Thom such a lazy vocalist?

(live)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
Thom's been pretty hit or miss this tour, I think that's a fair review of his performance this year. Sometimes he sucks (see: every 2012 performance of Paranoid Android) but other times he's superb. as in, this video

what gives? Is Thom just being lazy on older songs/ in places they visit frequently? His voice is inarguably better in the Asia videos than the US ones from this tour, which leads me to believe I'm right.

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

irene

irene

Pigsee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,295 posts
Or maybe his throat isn't in the same pristine condition every day because he is a human being

Yeah before all this I had a crush on Irene but now I think she's a monster.

tumblr_n54gnzjSCr1qlywlko2_500.jpg

babydoctor

babydoctor

dragon wizard dracogenius

• Members
  • 15,548 posts
plus the band is all around less about replicating the exact composition of every song nowadays, and when you wing it more, you fuck up more.

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
There's no excuse for his downright abysmal performance on PA and Lotus Flower especially. The only songs he consistently sounds good on are Nude and Pyramid (props). The one exception to make is Mxyo, which actually should be slurred in a messy dance frenzy. But what place do fans have in critiquing the performance they're paying to see? We should just accept and make excuses for why Thom doesn't give a fuck.

irene

irene

Pigsee

• Members
  • 31,295 posts
What kind of a buffoon doesn't realize when they buy a ticket that the performance isn't going to be as good as it sounds in the studio? If you want it to sound perfect, just listen to the vinyl or CD or 8-track or whatever format you have it on, man

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
It's not that it's not as good. It's that it's inconsistent. Look at that debut of the new afp material at the dj gig from earlier this month. There's no reason he can't sing that well on older rh material

irene

irene

Pigsee

• Members
  • 31,295 posts
Yeah but obviously you're going to be taking a chance, because Thom can't guarantee that he's going to have a super perfect voice every single concert. Maybe sometimes he literally cannot do it.

WeAreOne

WeAreOne

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I saw them 3 times on this tour (the first Roseland show last sept, PNC in may, and Bonnaroo in june). The only time I remember his voice being less than gorgeous was PA at Bonnaroo, which definitely sounded like he was giving a lazy delivery. Though I didn't feel like he was just not trying hard, rather like he was trying to do something different with it - plus everyone in the crowd was singing and I think he plays with that too.

Plus, Thom dances around a lot. That just doesn't bode well for always being in tune and maintaining a perfect tone (which is why he sounds better on the slower songs).

Kid Zed

Kid Zed

not feeling clever or witty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationVenice, CA

Or maybe his throat isn't in the same pristine condition every day because he is a human being

I love Irene.

Exactly this.

He was rested before the DJ appearances.

Plus, live music is, well, live. No studio tricks, multi-takes, just out there. Thom's voice isn't exactly a big powerful instrument either.

I don't go see Radiohead to hear Thom Yorke sing exactly like a studio album recorded 15 years ago. FWIW, PA was wonderful both at Coachella and Santa Barbara.
The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.

Guero

Guero

Talk Show Host

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationEngland
He sang well at the AFP set because he'd had like a month long break. But during the tour and having him sing for an hour and half, every day or 2 WILL wear his voice down. Whilst I agree he's sounded terrible for a few of the performances (Especially Lotus Flower, which would probably be improved if he just stayed fucking still.) it's silly of anyone to expect that he'll perform brilliantly every single night. The man's 43, and he's done a fair few worldwide tours throughout his life. That's obviously gonna take it's toll on his voice.
It happens to pretty much every vocalist.

Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien

Subterranean Homesick Alien

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationTennessee
I know it was only the 3rd show, but he sounded great on Nude and Reckoner in Atlanta, and those aren't easy songs to sing.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

then youre wrong

then youre wrong

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I think it's because he's done those songs soooo many times that he cannot get into them anymore.
I've experienced this with my band many times.

'Remember, 99% of everything anyone tells you is a lie.
Don't let the demons get you.
They got me.
'

-Chieftan Mews

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The truth will mess you up.

paws button

paws button

mortempo tigi

• Members
  • 16,251 posts
  • Locationin the navy beans
if you want a perfect voice, listen to the albums, gigs are a public, live interpretation of the studio work, an opportunity for the audience to see how they perform for one night in a given place (sound, interaction, arrangements, light show), an opportunity for the band to connect with people who dig their sound. it's a massive dance party where most people are high and or making too much noise to warrant hitting the correct notes every time. i love to see thom move the way he does, if it affects his singing, i'm blown away already by his energy anyway, i really don't care, it doesn't spoil anything.
and if thom stood still during songs like lotus flower, that would seem more problematic to me. shake it up yo.

as for not "getting" into the songs so much anymore, i disagree. they were 1000% into every song at the last gig i went to in july. also they actually don't sing many of the older songs anymore, probably in an attempt to avoid getting bored. that being said, paranoid android was a fucking bomb, as usual.

man they fuckin murdered that potato salad

05f4ef79-c21d-4720-8776-e98828a57a02_zps

!!!!!! noggy wings !!!!!!

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

biggie p

biggie p

uh huh huh

• Members
  • 25,529 posts
i don't usually notice the quality of his voice until i'm listening to bootlegs. at the show i'm paying way more attention to the lights, dancing around, and watching the other members of the band than i am to his voice specifically. since they put on basically the best live show ever, there's not much to complain about

then youre wrong

then youre wrong

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I saw them 2x this year
Coachella weekend 2 (4/21)
and
Tinley Park, IL (6/10)
In both shows, Thom was DEAD ON for every song.

..except MAYBE lotus flower.

'Remember, 99% of everything anyone tells you is a lie.
Don't let the demons get you.
They got me.
'

-Chieftan Mews

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The truth will mess you up.

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Alright, alright. But could he have at least stood still for tkol ftb?

ro32xx

ro32xx

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationEngland
on the very rare occasion it does appear his vocals are slightly lacking in enthusiasm
most of the time wonderful though

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
radiohead.atwebpages.com

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

paws button

paws button

mortempo tigi

• Members
  • 16,251 posts
Posted Image

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

paws button

paws button

mortempo tigi

• Members
  • 16,251 posts

on the very rare occasion it does appear his vocals are slightly lacking in enthusiasm
most of the time wonderful though

i would call what your link refers to as "acting a song", because, i think it's the intent. to sound blasé?