Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The worst sequenced Radiohead album

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

cooking relish in an oven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts
  • Locationplacing mustard in the freezer
Is neither Hail to The Thief nor The King of Limbs. (HTTT just needs to cut a few songs, and TKOL, well you can rearrange the tracks all ya want but the quality just isn't there on the studio recordings) It's Ok Computer. WARNING: ¡the contents of this post are extremely controversial and may induce blind rage in less intelligent readers!

That's right, I said it. Ok Computer. And there are a couple big reasons why I think so.

1. Depending on how you feel about the last few songs, it's completely front loaded. I mean, The Tourist is a fantastic track, but Lucky and CUTW (and Electioneering of course) aren't up to par with any of the first six tracks (which are admitedly a tough act to follow). But is it too much to ask that the 'best album of all time' be consistently fantastic? I THINK NOT (especially when it easily could've been...)

2. Radiohead made some really bad choices when it came time to decide what would make it onto OKC. Just look at what was demoted to b-side status-- Pearly! Palo Alto! Polyethylene!! A REMINDER! These are some of Radiohead's absolute best non album tracks, and it's easy to see why. Look what took their place on the record proper- Fitter fucking Happier? Fair enough, it's a concept album, all concept albums need some pretentious ambient filler no-one actually listens to but pretends to dig, I get that. But Electioneering? What the FUCK? The 2nd half of the album fails to live up to the first half because there is absolutely no momentum. You can't have Lucky AND Tourist, right next to each other. It just doesn't work!

and finally
3. Radiohead had some great material floating around that they, for whatever reason, refused to use. It's not hard to imagine how awesome a penultimate track Big Boots could've made with a little spit and shine (let's be real here, aside from Jonny's stellar riff, Lucky is a bit of a bore). And even Ed O'Brien himself has admitted that Lift could've been the best song on OKC if they'd have pushed to get it recorded. We all know that this is one of the biggest problems with Radiohead (letting awesome songs go unreleased because they couldn't get them "just right") but poor, poor Lift. I'm sure some of you will argue that Let Down already fills that 'epic, heartfelt' role, but I think this could've been even better, and perhaps a suitable replacement for the Fitter Happier/ Electioneering slot.

I know what you're thinking. "Bbbbut, Master Shortpants, your changes, however Genius, ruin OKC's thematic core of tech dread and routine-onset misery, which is a lot of what made OKC a classic in the first place!" To which I simply say: I DON'T CARE (STOP) THIS WOULD BE A MORE ENJOYABLE ALBUM (STOP) ONE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN TO AND APPRECIATE OUTSIDE OF MUSIC SNOB SEMINARS (STOP)

:10: http://greenplastic....-30772.jpg?_r=0 :10:

:ed:

rose

rose

I wanna make a supersonic woman of you!

• Members
  • 12,346 posts
Never understood what's supposed to be so bad about electioneering. I've always loved it

i5m1_zps4ef73f6c.jpg

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
It's ok. But it's not a classic like a lot of OKC stuff is

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,374 posts
  • LocationTennessee

nothing like a good opinion thread to fire up GRT.

and yes, I love the way OKC is sequenced, how would you have done it, master shortpants?

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

MarkGrace

MarkGrace

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Horrible post.

box

box

Its Ovah. Its Ovah.

• Members
  • 22,882 posts
  • LocationSex in the Halls, Niagara Falls

The Bends

j6w3.jpg

Xenodude

Xenodude

Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

I'm mostly in agreement, though I have come to appreciate CUTW more than I used to. Electioneering almost always gets skipped. I think if it weren't for No Surprises holding it all together, I might have never listened to the last half of the album (though I don't find Lucky quite as boring as you make it out to be... I kinda find Tourist boring).

Also, I think we can add "Nude/Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)" and "True Love Waits" to the list of tracks that could have potentially replaced some of the weaker half, as they were written at that time. Imagining OKC with Lift, Big Ideas, Big Boots, True Love Waits, Polyethylene, and some of the other B-sides (Talk Show Host anyone?) is definitely an awesome thought.

But then again, isn't that just the same as imagining TKOL with Staircase, The Daily Mail, The Butcher, and TAMTW?

-Pignoah-

-Pignoah-

Doctor Worm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,621 posts

OP sucks

hope he dies

Bluebelle

Bluebelle

Big Boots

• Members
  • 11,374 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I love CUTW into No Surprises, it's perfect.

tumblr_n7hkyzTBwD1riagvfo1_400.gif

backwoods_trout

backwoods_trout

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

for some reason I never really consider OKC in terms of an album. Just too many powerhouse songs, airbag, paranoid android, no surprises, let down, karma police, subterreanean homesick alien, the tourist, it doesn't let up.

rose

rose

I wanna make a supersonic woman of you!

• Members
  • 12,346 posts
Yeah okc is more songs whereas amnesiac is all album

i5m1_zps4ef73f6c.jpg

Fast Tracker

Fast Tracker

boxes. lots of boxes.

• Members
  • 7,201 posts

Is neither Hail to The Thief nor The King of Limbs. (HTTT just needs to cut a few songs, and TKOL, well you can rearrange the tracks all ya want but the quality just isn't there on the studio recordings) It's Ok Computer. WARNING: ¡the contents of this post are extremely controversial and may induce blind rage in less intelligent readers!

That's right, I said it. Ok Computer. And there are a couple big reasons why I think so.

1. Depending on how you feel about the last few songs, it's completely front loaded. I mean, The Tourist is a fantastic track, but Lucky and CUTW (and Electioneering of course) aren't up to par with any of the first six tracks (which are admitedly a tough act to follow). But is it too much to ask that the 'best album of all time' be consistently fantastic? I THINK NOT (especially when it easily could've been...)

2. Radiohead made some really bad choices when it came time to decide what would make it onto OKC. Just look at what was demoted to b-side status-- Pearly! Palo Alto! Polyethylene!! A REMINDER! These are some of Radiohead's absolute best non album tracks, and it's easy to see why. Look what took their place on the record proper- Fitter fucking Happier? Fair enough, it's a concept album, all concept albums need some pretentious ambient filler no-one actually listens to but pretends to dig, I get that. But Electioneering? What the FUCK? The 2nd half of the album fails to live up to the first half because there is absolutely no momentum. You can't have Lucky AND Tourist, right next to each other. It just doesn't work!

and finally
3. Radiohead had some great material floating around that they, for whatever reason, refused to use. It's not hard to imagine how awesome a penultimate track Big Boots could've made with a little spit and shine (let's be real here, aside from Jonny's stellar riff, Lucky is a bit of a bore). And even Ed O'Brien himself has admitted that Lift could've been the best song on OKC if they'd have pushed to get it recorded. We all know that this is one of the biggest problems with Radiohead (letting awesome songs go unreleased because they couldn't get them "just right") but poor, poor Lift. I'm sure some of you will argue that Let Down already fills that 'epic, heartfelt' role, but I think this could've been even better, and perhaps a suitable replacement for the Fitter Happier/ Electioneering slot.

I know what you're thinking. "Bbbbut, Master Shortpants, your changes, however Genius, ruin OKC's thematic core of tech dread and routine-onset misery, which is a lot of what made OKC a classic in the first place!" To which I simply say: I DON'T CARE (STOP) THIS WOULD BE A MORE ENJOYABLE ALBUM (STOP) ONE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN TO AND APPRECIATE OUTSIDE OF MUSIC SNOB SEMINARS (STOP)

I highlighted in red the bits that are wrong.

Electric Candyman

Electric Candyman

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Fun fact of the day:

TKOL and Kid A are the best sequenced RH albums out there.

Swarley

Swarley

Kid A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Fun fact of the day:

I agree. Even if tkol is a little weaksauce.

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
Regarding the other OKC era songs, I didnt mention TLW cuz I can't really see where it'd fit and Big Ideas meshes so well with IR that there's no point in trying to wedge it into OKC. (and talk show host is just not OKC era IMO)

Cmonkids

Cmonkids

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Mr. Smartypants, all albums are flawed. Give me a Top 10 list, and there's flaws on every single one of them. Electioneering is a good, angry, political rocker. Climbing Up The Walls is fucking phenomenal, sexy and demented, and Lucky is gorgeous. Fitter Happier is also brilliant.

The controversial opinion isn't controversial, everyone's got an opinion, what makes yours worth noting? You're certainly not right. 

Master Shortpants

Master Shortpants

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
tongue is firmly in cheek, kickstart some GRT discussion, etc,etc,... I thought this was implied.

Your post makes me laugh hard though in a friendly sorta way. 'everyones got an opinion man you're not special but YOU ARE WRONG'

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,120 posts
I love you Shortypants.

I've always felt that OK Computer was a collection of great songs but a weak album.

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg

Hippopothomas J

Hippopothomas J

Ichorous Earth

• Members
  • 22,120 posts
Electioneering's great though and Fitter Happier, contrary to what you said about it having a place of a pretentious concept album, is FUCKING SHIT.

fatty_mc_fatso.jpg