Welcome to Mortigi Tempo - Radiohead MSG Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Come To Your Senses

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Tim77

Tim77

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
Tim,

I need context
"Humor is an almost physiological response to fear."

Tim77

Tim77

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Tim,

I need context

Yes, sorry! That was lazy posting...

This video popped up this morning, as noted in a news item by Consequence of Sound:

https://consequenceo...to-your-senses/

Seems like a snippet of this soundboard recording of this unreleased song was posted years ago, and now the guy who originally posted the snippet has posted the soundcheck soundboard recording in full. Which you listen to here:

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
Wow. I wonder what this dudes setup is. This is like soundboard quality.

skylark

skylark

daydreams about night things

• Members
  • 8,653 posts

thanks hoserama 

fuck

Jethro

Jethro

Worrywort

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationSydney

Wow.  Surely out of the mixing board - how does that get leaked?  It sounds like quite a 'developed' song, with practised chord changes etc - given it didn't make the cut in either IR or the bonus disk,  that tends to mean that it remains in the mix for further development on later records.

I don't think its exactly a classic in its current form, but its a good quality song.

hoserama

hoserama

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

It was not from mixing board.

Go read up on in ear monitors. 

Tim77

Tim77

Wicked Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

It was not from mixing board.

Go read up on in ear monitors. 

Ah OK, so the recordings were picked up from wireless in-ear monitors?

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Wow. Surely out of the mixing board - how does that get leaked? It sounds like quite a 'developed' song, with practised chord changes etc - given it didn't make the cut in either IR or the bonus disk, that tends to mean that it remains in the mix for further development on later records.

I don't think its exactly a classic in its current form, but its a good quality song.

A little too twangy to be on IR, I think. It’s got Harvest Moon written all over it. Maybe a nice B side.

chroma

chroma

rabid cultist

• Super Moderators
  • 33,942 posts
  • Locationwhere i am

hey hey! i was at that show at berkeley on the 24th and i listened to that soundcheck while waiting in line.  that long and dreamy sounding song i didn't recognize back then may have been go slowly, i guess.  

sigline6.jpg

six colored pictures all in a row of a marigold

mugsy

mugsy

The Concept - TFC

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

I love this song!! It has a magic about it, even in it's simpler moments.

it has a very unique groove about it. 

I can imagine them really amplifying, adding some electronic effects/beats,

the bass/drum interactions and Jonny's banjo for something very special.

1502107.gif

skylark

skylark

• Members
  • 8,653 posts

thom said hed never record w banjo so id expect that replaced

skylark

skylark

• Members
  • 8,653 posts

hoserama did u ever get any interesting trades for full version of come to your senses?

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

I love this song!! It has a magic about it, even in it's simpler moments.
it has a very unique groove about it.

I can imagine them really amplifying, adding some electronic effects/beats,
the bass/drum interactions and Jonny's banjo for something very special.

Curb your enthusiasm, Monchambo. This is b side stuff at best. I think we are just craving any kind of new material at this point.

mugsy

mugsy

The Concept - TFC

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Curb your enthusiasm, Monchambo. This is b side stuff at best. I think we are just craving any kind of new material at this point.

I don't agree.

You can definintely hear some magic starting to happen in this live-take alone, if you can't then i can't help you..

it has a very folksy/velvet underground feel to it, but it's actually well established, even at that point in time..

i can defintely hear something great in it and i don't just like everything they release.

for instance i find pulk, gloaming, feral etc boring attempts at experimental songs..(leave it to boards of canada or autechre to do that stuff, they do it better).

i'd take this over those album tracks any damn day as it's a memorable song.

1502107.gif

hoserama

hoserama

Creep

• Junior Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

hoserama did u ever get any interesting trades for full version of come to your senses?

Yes--it was more about making good taper contacts which I made several (in conjunction with other recordings). 

seabutter

seabutter

mortigi jesus

• Members
  • 3,496 posts
  • Locationdenmark
i dont think it’s a good song. but I’m a sad person because of the world cup.
but it probably isn’t great

Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter

Creep

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
It’s not that good. It’s a great recording - much appreciated from Hoserama, but saying that it’s spectacular or beautiful or whatever is a little much. I think people are just starved for some new material.

As far as unreleased folksy Neil Young Radiohead songs go - this is a far second place to Skirting on the Surface. Which better make a
come back this summer.

seabutter

seabutter

mortigi jesus

• Members
  • 3,496 posts
  • Locationdenmark
word. skirting is the shit

laire

laire

Coke Babies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Re: Come to Your Senses, "country" seems to be a big part of the rhetoric around the song and maybe why a lot of people dismissed it, but it's actually better than people are saying it is. It's no less promising than a number of other songs that were first played live in flawed form and then ended up as classics like Lotus Flower or There There or whatever.

The song is in an early state and we just can't tell what would have happened with it if they'd chosen to work on it more. Even if taken in that raw state, it's pretty good as is, and I'm not sure if this is a diss of AMSP or praise of CTYS, but it is similar in style AND quality to the weaker tracks on AMSP.

Neil Young also made country music most of the time. So did Radiohead, with songs like The Numbers, Give Up the Ghost, I Will, Karma Police and Fake Plastic Trees. As usual, classist people who have never listened to things marketed as country have no idea what it actually sounds like. Jigsaw is sort of a country song as well.

Skirting is indeed more promising tho, maybe cause it's more Joni than Neil.
FUCK NICK LAND